born on 20/4/1925 in Villedieu-sur-Indre, Centre, France
died on 17/10/2002
Henri Renaud (20 April 1925, in Villedieu-sur-Indre – 17 October 2002, in Paris) was a French jazz pianist and record company executive.
His styles reflected the decades when he was musically active: he played in the swing, bebop and cool styles. He developed renown internationally when he served as an ensemble-organizing point-man for visiting jazz performers from the United States.
Renaud moved to Paris in 1946, and established a career as a jazz pianist. He joined tenor-saxophonist Jean-Claude Fohrenbach's combo. During 1949 and 1950 he accompanied Don Byas, James Moody and Roy Eldridge. In 1952 he performed at various times with Lester Young, Sarah Vaughan and Clifford Brown.
American bebop trumpeter Brown made several recordings with Renaud. In 1954, Renaud visited the United States, where he recorded.
Upon becoming an executive for French CBS' jazz division in 1964, he largely stopped his activity as a professional jazz pianist, but did occasional work as a film composer.
- Henri Renaud et Son Orchestre (Duretet Thomson, 1957)
- Dance and Mood Music Vol. 8 (Chappell, 1969)
- Blue Cylinder (PSI, 1970)
- Jeu De L'oie with Georges Arvanitas, Andre Ceccarelli (Arion, 1971)
- New Sound at the Boeuf Sur Le Toit (Fresh Sound, 1987)
- Complete Legendary Saturne Picture Discs (Paris Jazz Corner, 2001)
- Gigi Gryce et son Orchestre (Vogue, 1953)
- Clifford Brown: Clifford Brown Quartet (Vogue, 1953)
- Clifford Brown: Quartet in Paris / Sextet in Paris (OJC, 1953)
- Jay Cameron: The Third Herdsman - The Vogue Sessions (Vogue, 1955)
- Al Cohn: The Birdlanders Vol.1 and Vol.2 (OJC, 1954)
- Bobby Jaspar: Bobby Jaspar/Henri Renaud (Vogue 1953-54) with Jimmy Gourley, Fats Sadi
- Lee Konitz: Lee Konitz Plays (Disques Vogue, 1953)
- Oscar Pettiford: Oscar Pettiford Sextet (Disques Vogue, 1954)
- Zoot Sims: Quartet & Sextet (Vogue, 1953)
- Lucky Thompson: Jazz in Paris - Modern Jazz Group (Emarcy, 1956)
- Clifford Brown
- French jazz
- Steve Voce "Obituary: Henri Renaud", The Independent, 22 October 2009
- Allmusic, Henri Renaud biography
- allmusic.com biography
- Henri Renaud on IMDb