born on 30/3/1934 in Des Moines, IA, United States
Links www.lannymorgan.com (English)
Lanny Morgan (born March 30, 1934, Des Moines, Iowa) is an American jazz alto saxophonist chiefly active on the West Coast jazz scene.
Morgan was raised in Los Angeles. In the 1950s he played with Charlie Barnet, Si Zentner, Terry Gibbs, and Bob Florence, then did a stint in the U.S. military, for which reason he had to turn down an offer to play in the orchestra of Stan Kenton. From 1960-65 he played in Maynard Ferguson's orchestra; after a few years in New York City he returned to Los Angeles in 1969, where he played frequently in the studios, was a member of Supersax, and played in the big bands of Bill Berry, Bob Florence, and Bill Holman.
Morgan also played on sessions for Nancy Sinatra
- It's About Time (Palo Alto Records, 1982)
- The Lanny Morgan Quartet (VSOP, 1993)
- Pacific Standard (Contemporary Records, 1996)
- A Suite for Yardbird (Fresh Sound, 2002)
- Scott Yanow, [Lanny Morgan at All Music Guide Lanny Morgan] at Allmusic