born on 21/6/1949 in Dublin, Leinster, Ireland
Christy Doran (born 1949) is a jazz guitarist born in Dublin, Ireland, and raised in Lucerne, Switzerland.
Doran founded OM with Fredy Studer, Urs Leimgruber and Bobby Burri in the 1970s; this ensemble recorded for ECM Records. He and Studer worked together on a Jimi Hendrix tribute album in the 1990s.
Doran has worked with free jazz and avant-garde musicians, such as Ray Anderson, Han Bennink, Robert Dick, Marty Ehrlich, Albert Mangelsdorff, Patrice Héral, Marilyn Mazur, Louis Sclavis, Herb Robertson, John Wolf Brennan, Jamaaladeen Tacuma, and Carla Bley.
Doran founded New Bag in 1997, and toured the world from 1998 to 2000 with the ensemble. Doran has taught at the Musikhochschule at Lucerne.
- Harsh Romantics (1984)
- Christy Doran's May 84 (1985)
- The Returning Dream of the Leaving Ship (1986)
- Red Twist & Tuned Arrow (ECM, 1987)
- Henceforward (1988)
- Christy Doran's Phoenix (hatArt, 1989)
- Corporate Art (JMT, 1991)
- What a Band (Hathut, 1991)
- Musik für zwei Kontrabässe, elektrische Gitarre und Schlagzeug (1991) (ECM)
- Play the Music of Jimi Hendrix (Intuition, 1995)
- Race the Time (1997)
- Shaman (2000)
- Black Box (2002)
- Heaven Is Back in the Streets (Double Moon, 2003)
- Triangulation (Leo, 2004)
- Confusing the Spirits (2004)
- Perspectives (Between the Lines, 2005)
- Jimi (Challenge, 2005)
- La Fourmi (2005)
- Now's the Time (2006)
- The Competence of the Irregular (Between the Lines, 2009)
- Triangulation: Whirligigs (Leo, 2010)
- ABD (Hatology, 2011)
- No. 9 (Leo, 2013)
- Belle Epoque (Between the Lines, 2016)
- Call Me Helium (Double Moon, 2016)
With Joe McPhee
- Linear B (Hat Hut, 1990)
- ^ a b c Kelsey, Chris. "Christy Doran". AllMusic. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
This article uses material from the article Christy Doran from the free encyclopedia Wikipedia and it is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.