born on 27/10/1945 in Lillestrøm, Norway
Arild Andersen (born 27 October 1945 in Lillestrøm, Norway) is a Norwegian Jazz musician (upright bass) and composer, known as the most famous Norwegian bass player in the international jazz.
Andersen started his musical career as jazz guitarist in «The Riverside Swing Group» in Lillestrøm (196163), started playing double bass in 1964, and soon became part of the core jazz bands in Oslo. He was a member of Roy Hellvin Trio, was in the backing band at Kongsberg Jazz Festival in 1967 and 68, was elected Best bassist by Jazznytt in 1967, og started as bass player in the Jan Garbarek Quartet (1967-1973), including Terje Rypdal and Jon Christensen. After completing his technical education in 1968, he became a professional musician and collaborated with a number of the best known musicians next Garbarek, like the Norwegian Jazz singer Karin Krog, George Russell and Don Cherry (Berlin 1968), and was in the line up (rhythm section) for visiting American musicians like Phil Woods, Dexter Gordon, Bill Frisell, Hampton Hawes, Johnny Griffin, Sonny Rollins, Sheila Jordan and Chick Corea. In the samenperiod he also worked with Don Cherry, George Russell, Ferenc Snétberger and Tomasz Stako.
Andersen collaborated in the early 1970s with Norwegian musicians like Magni Wentzel, Jon Eberson, Ketil Bjørnstad and Terje Rypdal, before leaving for an eventful visit to the U.S.A. in the winter 1973-1974, and has since 1974 led his own bands, at first a Quartet (197479). He was in the line up for the astonishing Radka Toneff Quintet (197581), and has more than a dozen album releasesas as band leader on the label ECM, initiated critically acclaimed band Masqualero, and appeared as side man on a series of recordings. In January 2009 he was named "Musicien Europeen 2008" by the French "Academie du Jazz", and in 2010 Andersen received yet another prestigious award, the Ella Award presented at the Oslo Jazzfestival.
All*About*Jazz critique John Kelman, in his review of Andersen's live recorded release Live at Belleville said:
|Live at Belleville is Andersen's most exciting release to date. Even more, balanced with its lyrical and, at times, near-orchestral tendencies, it's the best disc of Andersen's long and varied career.|
- 1969: Buddyprisen
- 1975: "Bassist of the Year" voted by the European Jazz Federation
- 1983: Spellemannprisen for Masqualero, within the band "Masqualero"
- 1984: Gammleng Award in the class Jazz
- 1986: Spellemannprisen for Bande a Part, within the band "Masqualero"
- 1991: Spellemannprisen for Re-Enter, within the band "Masqualero"
- 2008: "Musicien Europeen 2008" by the French "Academie du Jazz"
- 2008: "Ella Award" at the Oslo Jazzfestival
- 1975: Clouds In My Head (ECM)
- 1977: Shimri (ECM)
- 1978: Green Shading Into Blue (ECM)
- 1981: Lifelines (ECM)
- 1981: A Molde Concert (ECM), with John Taylor, Bill Frisell & Alphonse Mouzon
- 1990: Sagn (Kirkelig Kulturverksted), commissioned work for Vossajazz 1990
- 1993: Arv (Kirkelig Kulturverksted)
- 1994: If You Look Far Enough (ECM), with Ralph Towner & Nana Vasconcelos
- 1995: Kristin Lavransdatter (Kirkelig Kulturverksted)
- 1997: Hyperborean (ECM)
- 1998: Sommerbrisen (Kirkelig Kulturverksted), with Frode Alnæs & Stian Carstensen
- 2003: Julegløggen (Kirkelig Kulturverksted), with Frode Alnæs & Stian Carstensen
- 2004: The Triangle (ECM), with Vassilis Tsabropoulos & John Marshall
- 2005: Electra (ECM)
- 2006: Høstsløv (Kirkelig Kulturverksted), with Frode Alnæs & Stian Carstensen
- 2008: Live at Belleville (ECM), with Paolo Vinaccia & Tommy Smith
- 2012: Celebration (ECM), with the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra
- 2014: Mira (ECM), with Paolo Vinaccia & Tommy Smith
With Ketil Bjørnstad
- 2013: La Notte (ECM)
- With Don Cherry
- 1968: Eternal Rhythm (MPS)
- With Jan Garbarek
- 1969: Esoteric Circle (Flying Dutchman)
- 1970: Afric Pepperbird (ECM)
- 1971: Sart (ECM)
- 1972: Triptykon (ECM)
- With George Russell
- 1971: The Essence of George Russell (Sonet)
- 1982: Trip to Prillarguri (Soul Note)
- 1983: Listen to the Silence (Soul Note)
- With Terje Rypdal
- 1971: Terje Rypdal (ECM)
- With Bobo Stenson
- 1971: Underwear (ECM)
- With Ketil Bjørnstad
- 1973: Åpning (Philips)
- 1976: Finnes Du Noensteds Ikveld (Kirkelig Kulturverksted)
- 1990: The Shadow (Kirkelig Kulturverksted), feat. Randi Stene, poems by John Donne (1562-1626)
- 1990: Odyssey (Kirkelig Kulturverksted)
- 2004: Grace (Universal), feat. Anneli Drecker
- 2007: Devotions (Universal)
- 1977: No Time For Time (Zarepta)
- With Sheila Jordan
- 1978: Sheila (SteepleChase)
- With David Darling
- 1981: Cycles (ECM)
- With Bill Frisell
- 1982: In Line (ECM)
- Within Masqualero
- 1983: Masqualero (Odin)
- 1986: Bande a Part (ECM)
- 1988: Aero (ECM)
- 1991: Re-Enter (ECM)
- 1999: Achirana (ECM)
- With Markus Stockhausen
- 2000: Kart (ECM)
- 2002: Joyosa (Enja)
- 2008: Electric Treasures (Aktivraum)
- With Carsten Dahl
- 2002: The Sign (Stunt)
- 2003: Moon Water (Stunt)
- 2006: Short Fairytales (EmArcy)
- 2012: Space Is the Place (Storyville)
- 2013: Under the Rainbow (Storyville)
- With Ferenc Snétberger & Paolo Vinaccia
- 2004: Nomad (Enja)
- With Andy Sheppard
- 2008: Movements in Colour (ECM)
- With Yelena Eckemoff
- 2013: Glass Song (L & H Production)
- List of jazz bassists
- 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Arild Andersen Biography. Listen to Norway (2010-09-29). Retrieved on 2013-10-07.
- Norwegian jazz musician honoured, The Norway Post, 19 January 2009. URL accessed on 19 January 2009.
- AllAboutJazz Review of Live at Belleville. allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved on 2010-10-29.
- Kelman, John (2005-10-03). Arild Andersen Group: Electra (2005) Track Review. All About Jazz. Retrieved on 2012-12-12.
- [www.arildandersen.com Official website]
- Arild Andersen on ECM Records
- *Flowd - artist channel on *Flowd network.
- Arild Andersen discography at Discogs