born on 27/7/1917 in Prétot-Vicquemare, Seine-Maritime, Haute-Normandie, France
died on 23/9/1970 in Paris, Île-de-France, France
André Bourvil in 1967
|Born||July 27 1917
|Died||23 September 1970 (aged 53)
|Spouse(s)||Jeanne Lefrique (1943-1970)|
André Bourvil, born André Robert Raimbourg (French pronunciation: [de buvil]; 27 July 1917, Prétot-Vicquemare, France 23 September 1970, Paris), was a French actor and singer best known for his roles in comedy films, most notably in his collaboration with Louis de Funès in the films Le Corniaud (1965) and La Grande Vadrouille (1966). For his performance in Le Corniaud, he won a Special Diploma at the 4th Moscow International Film Festival.
His father was killed in the First World War before Bourvil was born. As a result, he spent his entire childhood in the village of Bourville, the name of which inspired his stage name. He married Jeanne Lefrique on 23 January 1943. After a battle with Kahler's syndrome, which attacks the bone marrow, he died at the age of 53. He is buried in Montainville, Yvelines.
In his comic performances Bourvil principally played roles of gentle and well-meaning characters who were often a bit obtuse or naive, such as his roles opposite the hyperactive, dishonest and bossy ones played by Louis de Funès. Bourvil's characters not only managed to make viewers laugh, but also to save themselves from the Machiavellian designs of adversaries.
Bourvil was, however, also capable of more dramatic roles such as the handyman in L'Arbre de Noël (1969). In this role he observes the relationship between a man he works for and the young son who has fallen ill. The audience can identify with the character played by Bourvil, just as they can in his comic roles, so often as a simple man. One can also note his role of Thénardier in the film adaptation of Les Misérables (1958), and his last role as the policeman Mattei in Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Cercle rouge (1970).
In March 1948, Bourvil took part in the complete recording of Offenbach's The Tales of Hoffmann with artists of the Paris Opéra-Comique conducted by André Cluytens, playing the four 'servant' roles.
- 1941 : Croisières sidérales
- 1945 : La Ferme du pendu
- 1946 : Pas si bête
- 1947 : Le Studio en folie
- 1947 : Par la fenêtre
- 1947 : Blanc comme neige
- 1948 : Le Cur sur la main
- 1949 : Le Roi Pandore
- 1950 : Miquette
- 1950 : Le Rosier de Madame Husson
- 1950 : Le Passe-muraille
- 1951 : Seul dans Paris
- 1952 : Le Trou normand
- 1952 : Cent francs par seconde
- 1953 : Les Trois Mousquetaires
- 1954 : Si Versailles m'était conté ... directed by Sacha Guitry
- 1954 : Poisson d'avril (1954)
- 1954 : Cadet-Rousselle
- 1954 : Le Fil à la patte
- 1955 : Les Hussards
- 1956 : La Traversée de Paris
- 1956 : Le Chanteur de Mexico
- 1958 : Les Misérables directed by Jean-Paul Le Chanois
- 1958 : Le Miroir à deux faces
- 1958 : Sérénade au Texas
- 1958 : Un drôle de dimanche
- 1959 : Le Chemin des écoliers
- 1959 : Le Bossu
- 1959 : La Jument verte
- 1960 : Le Capitan
- 1960 : Fortunat
- 1961 : Tout l'or du monde
- 1961 : Le Tracassin ou les plaisirs de la ville ("The Busybody", Alex Joffé)
- 1962 : Les Culottes rouges
- 1962 : Les Bonnes Causes
- 1962 : The Longest Day
- 1962 : Tartarin de Tarascon
- 1962 : Un clair de lune à Maubeuge
- 1963 : Le Magot de Josepha
- 1963 : Un drôle de paroissien
- 1963 : La Cuisine au beurre
- 1964 : La Grande Frousse
- 1964 : Le Corniaud (The Sucker) directed by Gérard Oury
- 1965 : Guerre secrète
- 1965 : La Grosse Caisse
- 1965 : Les Grandes Gueules
- 1966 : La Grande Vadrouille directed by Gérard Oury
- 1966 : Trois enfants dans le désordre
- 1967 : Les Arnaud
- 1967 : Les Cracks
- 1968 : La Grande Lessive
- 1968 : Le Cerveau directed by Gérard Oury
- 1969 : Monte Carlo or Bust (Gonflés à bloc) directed by Ken Annakin
- 1969 : The Christmas Tree (L'Arbre de Noël), directed by Terence Young
- 1969 : L'Étalon directed by Jean-Pierre Mocky
- 1970 : Le Cercle rouge directed by Jean-Pierre Melville
- 1970 : Le Mur de l'Atlantique (Atlantic Wall) directed by Marcel Camus
Nearly 300, among which the best known are:
- "La tendresse"
- "Salade de fruits"
- "Les crayons"
- "La Tactique du gendarme" (from the film Le roi Pandore)
- "Ballade irlandaise"
- "Un clair de lune à Maubeuge"
- "Petit bal perdu" (C'était bien)
- 4th Moscow International Film Festival (1965). MIFF. Retrieved on 2012-12-06.
- Bourvil at the Internet Movie Database