born on 5/8/1942
Joe Boyd (born August 5, 1942) is an American record producer and writer. He formerly owned Witchseason production company and Hannibal Records. Boyd has played a crucial role in the recording careers of Pink Floyd, Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny, Richard Thompson, Nick Drake, The Incredible String Band, Vashti Bunyan, John and Beverley Martyn, Maria Muldaur, Kate and Anna McGarrigle and Muzsikás.
Boyd was born in Boston, Massachusetts, and raised in Princeton, New Jersey. He attended Pomfret School in Pomfret, Connecticut. He first became involved in music promoting blues artists while a student at Harvard University. After graduating, Boyd worked as a production and tour manager for music impresario George Wein, which took Boyd to Europe to organise concerts with Muddy Waters, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz and Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Boyd was responsible for the sound at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival, when Bob Dylan played a controversial set backed by electric musicians.
In 1964, Boyd paid his first visit to Britain, returning the following year to establish an overseas office of Elektra Records. In 1966, Boyd opened UFO Club, Londons first psychedelic ballroom. He worked with UFO regulars Pink Floyd, and produced their first single, "Arnold Layne", and recordings by Soft Machine. Boyd worked extensively with audio engineer John Wood at Sound Techniques studio in Chelsea. In this studio, Boyd and Wood made a succession of celebrated albums with British folk and folk rock artists, including the Incredible String Band, Martin Carthy, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Fairport Convention and Richard Thompson. Some of these were produced by Boyd's production company, Witchseason.
Boyd returned to the United States at the end of 1970 to work as a music producer for Warner Bros. with special input into films, where he collaborated with Stanley Kubrick on the sound track release of A Clockwork Orange. Boyd also contributed to the soundtrack of Deliverance, directed by John Boorman, where he supervised the recording of "Dueling Banjos", which became a hit single for Eric Weissberg. Boyd also produced and co-directed the film documentary Jimi Hendrix (1973). In the States, Boyd produced albums by Maria Muldaur and Kate and Anna McGarrigle. Boyd subsequently founded the Hannibal Records label in 1980 (later absorbed into Rykodisc), which released albums by Richard Thompson and many recordings of world music, including Hungarian band Muzsikás. Boyd also produced R.E.M.'s third album Fables of the Reconstruction (1985), and records by Billy Bragg and 10,000 Maniacs.
Boyd was Executive Producer for the 1988 feature film Scandal, starring John Hurt and Bridget Fonda about the Profumo Affair in UK politics in 1963. Boyd left Hannibal/Ryko in 2001 and his autobiography, White Bicycles - Making Music in the 1960s, was published in 2006 by Serpent's Tail in the UK.
In 2008, Boyd was a judge for the 7th annual Independent Music Awards to support independent artists.
Records produced or co-produced
- The Incredible String Band (The Incredible String Band)
- Lord of the Dance (Sydney Carter)
- Alasdair Clayre (Alasdair Clayre)
- What's Shakin' (various artists) - 3 tracks by Eric Clapton and the Powerhouse
- A Cold Wind Blows (Elektra EUK 253) Various artists: Cyril Tawney, Matt McGinn, Johnny Handle and Alasdair Clayre
- The Power of the True Love Knot (Shirley Collins)
- The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion (The Incredible String Band)
- Rags Reels and Airs (Dave Swarbrick, Martin Carthy & Diz Disley)
- "Arnold Layne" / "Candy and a Currant Bun" (single by Pink Floyd)
- "Granny Takes a Trip" (single by The Purple Gang)
- "She's Gone", "I Should've Known" recordings for projected single by Soft Machine, June, Sound Techniques, London released on Triple Echo, 1977, Turns On Volume 1 (Voiceprint 2001 CD)
- Tonite Let's All Make Love in London (Pink Floyd tracks)
- Very Urgent (Chris McGregor)
- "If I Had a Ribbon Bow" / "If (Stomp)" (single by Fairport Convention)
- "If (Stomp)" / "Chelsea Morning" (single by Fairport Convention)
- Fairport Convention (Fairport Convention)
- The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (The Incredible String Band)
- Wee Tam and the Big Huge (The Incredible String Band)
- Kalpana - instrumental and dance music of India (various artists)
- What We Did On Our Holidays (Fairport Convention)
- "Si Tu Dois Partir" / "Genesis Hall" (single by Fairport Convention)
- Unhalfbricking (Fairport Convention)
- Five Leaves Left (Nick Drake)
- Liege & Lief (Fairport Convention)
- Kip of the Serenes (Dr. Strangely Strange)
- "Big Ted" / "All Writ Down" (single by The Incredible String Band)
- Changing Horses (The Incredible String Band)
- Desertshore (Nico)
- Just Another Diamond Day (Vashti Bunyan)
- Bryter Layter (Nick Drake)
- Stormbringer! (John and Beverley Martyn)
- U (Incredible String Band)
- Full House (Fairport Convention)
- Fotheringay (Fotheringay)
- I Looked Up (The Incredible String Band)
- Be Glad for the Song Has No Ending (The Incredible String Band)
- Pottery Pie (Geoff and Maria Muldaur)
- Brotherhood of Breath (Brotherhood of Breath)
- Smiling Men with Bad Reputations (Mike Heron)
- Call Me Diamond / Lady Wonder (single by Mike Heron)
- The Road to Ruin (John and Beverley Martyn)
- Heavy Petting (Dr. Strangely Strange)
- Maria Muldaur (Maria Muldaur)
- Midnight at the Oasis b/w Any Old Time (single by Maria Muldaur)
- Dueling Banjos b/w Reuben's Train (single by Eric Weissberg and Steve Mandel)
- Jimi Hendrix - soundtrack (Jimi Hendrix)
- Waitress in a Donut Shop (Maria Muldaur)
- Muleskinner (Muleskinner)
- Kate and Anna McGarrigle (Kate and Anna McGarrigle)
- Geoff Muldaur Is Having a Wonderful Time (Geoff Muldaur)
- Junco Partner (James Booker)
- Live at the L.A. Troubadour (Fairport Convention)
- Sweet Harmony (Maria Muldaur)
- Reggae Got Soul (Toots & the Maytals)
- Dancer with Bruised Knees (Kate and Anna McGarrigle)
- Rise Up Like the Sun (The Albion Band)
- Julie Covington (Julie Covington)
- Too Late at Twenty (The Act: a band fronted by Nick Laird-Clowes)
- Party Safari (Joe "King" Carrasco and The Crowns)
- I Ain't Drunk (Geoff Muldaur)
- Shoot Out the Lights (Richard and Linda Thompson)
- Don't Renege On Our Love / Living In Luxury (single by Richard and Linda Thompson)
- Thermonuclear Sweat (Defunkt)
- Money Fall Out The Sky (Cool It Reba)
- Hand of Kindness (Richard Thompson)
- Poppie Nongena - original cast recording
- Small Town Romance (Richard Thompson)
- Across a Crowded Room (Richard Thompson)
- Fables of the Reconstruction (R.E.M.)
- The Wishing Chair (10,000 Maniacs)
- House Full - live at the LA Troubador (Fairport Convention)
- Supply and Demand (Dagmar Krause)
- Angebot und Nachfrage (Dagmar Krause)
- The Music of Bulgaria (Balkana)
- Habanera (John Harle)
- Whatever (Danny Thompson)
- Nazakat & Salamat Ali (Nazakat & Salamat Ali)
- Worker's Playtime (Billy Bragg)
- The Forest is Crying (The Trio Bulgarka)
- Kaira (Toumani Diabate)
- Songhai (Ketama, Toumani Diabate and Danny Thompson)
- These Knees Have Seen The World (The Dinner Ladies)
- Country Cooking (Brotherhood of Breath)
- Miss America (Mary Margaret O'Hara) (Uncredited)
- Orpheus Ascending (Ivo Papasov and his Bulgarian Wedding Band)
- Some Other Time (June Tabor)
- Procedure (The Blackgirls)
- Happy (The Blackgirls)
- Balkanology (Ivo Papasov and his Bulgarian Wedding Band)
- The Watchman (The Watchman)
- Trans-Danubian Swineherd's Music (Orbestra)
- Songhai 2 (Ketama, Toumani Diabate and Danny Thompson)
- ¡Cubanismo! (¡Cubanismo!)
- Djelika (Toumani Diabaté)
- Cuba Linda (Alfredo Rodriguez)
- Malembe (¡Cubanismo!)
- Reencarnation (¡Cubanismo!)
- Bareback (The Hank Dogs)
- Double Barrel (Jazz Jamaica)
- Dear Enemy (Dana and Karen Kletter)
- The McGarrigle Hour (Kate & Anna McGarrigle)
- The Bones Of All Men (Philip Pickett)
- Dew Drop Out (The Yockamo All-stars)
- Mardi Gras Mambo (¡Cubanismo!)
- Kulanjan (Taj Mahal and Toumani Diabate)
- Social Studies (Loudon Wainwright III)
- Half Smile (The Hank Dogs)
- Private Astronomy (Geoff Muldaur's Futuristic Ensemble)
- Mares Profundos (Virginia Rodrigues)
- London '66-'67 Pink Floyd (recorded 1967, released 2005)
- Breathe with Me (Athena)
- Boyd, Joe, White Bicycles - Making Music in the 1960s, Serpent's Tail, 2006. ISBN 1-85242-910-0
- Richie Unterberger. Joe Boyd Interview. Richieunterberger.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-07.
- Boyd, 2006, White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s, pp. 2127.
- Boyd, 2006, White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s, pp. 96107.
- Boyd, 2006, White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s, pp. 109117.
- Boyd, 2006, White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s, pp. 143166.
- Boyd, 2006, White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s, pp. 191202.
- Boyd, 2006, White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s, pp. 166170.
- Boyd, 2006, White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s, pp. 235238.
- Boyd, 2006, White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s, p. 238.
- 7th Annual IMA Judges. Independent Music Awards. Retrieved on 2013-12-07.
- A Cold Wind Blows. informatik.uni-hamburg. Retrieved on April 4, 2012.
- Jimi Hendrix at the Internet Movie Database
- Larry Crane, "Interview with Joe Boyd", Tape Op, July/Aug 2007
- Boyd, Joe, White Bicycles - Making Music in the 1960s, Serpent's Tail. 2006. ISBN 1-85242-910-0
- Joe Boyd Official Website
- Joe Boyd interviewed on The Current
- PUNKCAST#1129 Video of 'White Bicycles' reading in NYC, Mar 28 2007. (RealPlayer, mp4)
- Joe Boyd interviewed about Nick Drake
- 2011 Interview about White Bicycles, Hannibal Records, and live show with Robyn Hitchcock
|David Gilmour | Nick Mason | Roger Waters | Richard Wright | Syd Barrett | Bob Klose|
|The Piper at the Gates of Dawn | A Saucerful of Secrets | More | Ummagumma | Atom Heart Mother | Meddle | Obscured by Clouds | Dark Side of the Moon | Wish You Were Here | Animals | The Wall | The Final Cut | A Momentary Lapse of Reason | The Division Bell|
|Delicate Sound of Thunder | P*U*L*S*E | The Wall Live|
|Relics | A Nice Pair | Works | A Collection of Great Dance Songs | Shine On | Echoes|
|Videos and DVDs|
|Live at Pompeii | The Wall | Delicate Sound of Thunder | La Carrera Panamericana | P*U*L*S*E|
|Steve O'Rourke | Alan Parsons | Storm Thorgerson/Hipgnosis | Live performances | Trivia | Pigs | Publius Enigma|
This article uses material from the article Joe Boyd from the free encyclopedia Wikipedia and it is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.