born on 24/5/1961 in California, United States
Links www.walterbeasley.com (English)
Walter Beasley is an American saxophonist, a professor of music at the Berklee College of Music, and founder of Affable Publishing and Affable Records.
Beasley grew up in El Centro, California. By the age of 13 he was singing in Spanish in a band called Los Elegantes, and he played in various bands and performed at clubs throughout middle and high school.
In 1987, he released his first, self-titled, album, and since 1998 has been one of the top ten best-selling African American saxophonists in the world. Having grown up as a fan of R&B and funk and trained in classical and jazz saxophone, his own style falls between contemporary R&B and contemporary jazz, a blend which has been called "smooth jazz".
|Just Kickin' It||1989||Mercury|
|Walter Beasley Live and More||1996||Affable|
|Tonight We Love||1997||Shanachie|
|For Your Pleasure||1998||Shanachie|
|Won't You Let Me Love You||2000||Shanachie|
|Go With The Flow||2003||N-Coded Music|
|The Classic R&B Collection||2004||Shanachie|
|For Her||2005||Heads Up|
|Ready for Love||2007||Heads Up|
|Free Your Mind||2009||Heads Up|
|Walter Beasley Live - In the Groove||2010||Affable|
|Live in the Club||2013||Walter Beasley|
- Sound Production for the Saxophone (Affable Publishing, 2003)
- Hip-Hop Improvisation (Affable Publishing, 2003)
- Circular Breathing with Walter Beasley
- 14 Steps to Maximizing Your Performance (for Saxophonists)
- Walter Beasley's Performance Workshop
- Walter Beasley presents Vocal Performance
- Improv Using Pentatonics
- Performance Insight
- Playing Blues
- Resolution Warm-Up
- Using Vibrato
- Improvisations and Delivery Clinic
- Live at Scullers (Affable Records, 2003)
- Live in the Club (Walter Beasley, 2013)
- Performance Insight for Musicians
- Walter Beasley Smooth Jazz Alarm App
- Walter Beasley in Concert Transcriptions
- Music Lessons by Walter Beasley
- Hip hop Improvisation
- Walter Beasley Transcriptions
- Circular Breathing
- Sound Production for Saxophone
- Sax Meditations
Awards and accolades
- 2001 Boston Music Awards, Outstanding Jazz Artist
- 2001 Berklee College of Music Trustee Award for advancing the mission and values of the college
- 2001 South Middlesex Men's Club Leadership Award for community service and support of youth development in music.
- 2001 SESAC National Performing Activity Award for the song "Comin' at Cha"
- 2002 SESAC National Performing Activity Award for the song "Rendezvous"
- 2003 Boston Music Awards, Jazz Album of the Year (Go With the Flow)
- 2013 Forever Ink Achievement Award
- 1.0 1.1 Beasley, Walter (2007-12-20). Walter Beasley's Official Site: Professional Profile. Retrieved on 2009-02-23.
- 2.0 2.1 Lebovitz, Susan Chaityn, Beasley on the sax, The Boston Globe, 2006-01-22. URL accessed on 2009-02-23.
- 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Cox, Kevin, Boston-based saxophonist helps keep jazz alive, The Boston-Bay State Banner, 2007-03-15. URL accessed on 2009-02-23.
- 4.0 4.1 Faculty Biography: Walter Beasley. Berklee. Retrieved on 2009-02-23.
- 5.0 5.1 5.2 Rowland, Hobart, Saxy Stuff, Houston Press, 1996-05-23. URL accessed on 2009-02-23.
- Buckley, Michael, Music Box: Big Head Todd brings heartfelt rock to D.C., HometownAnnapolis.com, 2009-02-05. URL accessed on 2009-02-23.
- Lowenthal, Kevin, Onstage, his smoothness turns funky and soulful, The Boston Globe, 2005-08-12. URL accessed on 2009-02-23.
- Joyce, Mike, WALTER BEASLEY "Free Your Mind" Heads Up, The Washington Post, 2009-02-06, pp. WE07. URL accessed on 2009-02-23.
- Backatcha! - Walter Beasley | AllMusic
- Walter Beasley's Official Site | Selected Discography and Equipment. Walterbeasley.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-02.
- Walter Beasley's Official Site | Fact Sheet. Walterbeasley.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-02.