born on 24/9/1954 in Washington DC, United States
Jay Hoggard (b. September 24, 1954, Washington, D.C.) is an American jazz vibraphonist.
Jay Hoggard was raised in a religious family. He was born in Washington, D.C. but grew up in Mount Vernon, New York. His mother taught him how to play piano at a young age. At age 15, Jay started to play the vibraphone.
Hoggard first played piano and saxophone before picking up vibraphone. He played with Anthony Davis and Leo Smith in the early 1970s in New England, and after moving to New York City in 1988, he worked again with Davis and with Chico Freeman, Sam Rivers, Cecil Taylor, James Newton, and Kenny Burrell. Since then Jay has performed with famous vibraphonists Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson, Tito Puente and Bobby Hutcherson. He has collaborated with Kenny Burrell, Billy Taylor, James Newton, Hilton Ruiz and Oliver Lake.
Hoggard has played in venues in Africa, South America, Europe, Asia and the Caribbean. In the United States he has performed at the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C., the Lincoln Center in New York City, and the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture also in New York City. Jay has performed at numerous jazz festivals including St. Lucia, Montreux, Mount Fuji, Pori and Hartford, CT. He has appeared on television on CBS Sunday Morning and BET Jazz.
Hoggard has recorded many dates as a leader, including several that have been commercially successful in the U.S. He graduated from and is currently Adjunct Professor at Wesleyan University.
- Solo Vibraphone (India Navigation, 1978)
- Days Like These (GRP Records, 1979) U.S. Jazz #32
- Rain Forest (OJC, 1980) U.S. Jazz #18
- Mystic Winds, Tropical Breezes (India Navigation, 1982)
- Love Survives (Gramavision, 1983) U.S. Jazz #23
- Riverside Dance (India Navigation, 1985)
- Overview (Muse Records, 1989) U.S. Jazz #15
- The Little Tiger (Muse, 1990)
- The Fountain (Muse, 1991)
- In the Spirit (Muse, 1992)
- Love Is the Answer (Muse, 1994)
- Pleasant Memories (Muse, 1995)
- Night in Greenwich Village (Muse, 1996)
- Something 'Bout Believing (Twin Records, 1999)
- The Right Place (JHVM, 2003)
- Songs of Spiritual Love (JHVM, 2005)
- Swing 'Em Gates (JHVM, 2007)
- Soular Power (JHVM, 2008)
- Christmas Vibes All Thru the Year (JHVM, 2012)
With Chico Freeman
- Kings of Mali (India Navigation, 1979)
- No Time Left (Black Saint, 1979)
- Peaceful Heart, Gentle Spirit (Contemporary, 1980)