born in 1972 in Viborg, Jutland, Denmark
Morten Lund (musician)
|Morten Lund (musician)|
Morten Lund (born 1972) is a Danish Jazz musician (drums). He is co-leading a trio with Italian pianist Stefano Bollani and Danish bassist Jesper Bodilsen, and he is a member of trumpetstar Paolo Fresu's Devil Quartet and Kind of Porgy and Bess ensemble. As a sideman he has participated on more than 60 albums.
Morten Lund was born into a musical family in Viborg, Denmark, in 1972 to a father who played both drums, trumpet and guitar and was a very active part of the city's jazz scene, and a mother who played flute. At age 6 Morten started to play drums and later went on to play in various constallations and genre, playing his first paid jobs at age 15. In 1993 he was accepted into the Royal Academy of Music in Aarhus and only a year later, still a student, he started to play in the internationally recognized Klüvers Big Band. It was with this band that he recorded his first CD. After receiving his diploma in 1997 he moved to Copenhagen and was soon involved in several projects, recording and going on tours. Since this day, Jesper Bodilsen, with whom he had also studied at the Academy, has been a close collaborator on many projects. Since then Lund has established as one of the most active drummers on the Danish jazz scene.
In 2002 Lund and Morten Bodilsen were among the musicians selected for the Jazzpar Sixtet which Enrico Rava formed for the occasion when he received the Enrico Rava. As was the virtuoso Italian pianist Stefano Bollani and since chemistry was good among the three musicians, they formed a trio the following year. Their first album, Mi ritorni in mente, was released the same year to critical acclaim and became one of the ten best selling records in Italy that year. After tours in Italy and Scandinavia it was clear that the collaboration was going to be of a more lasting nature. They went on to play in jazz clubs and at festivals around the world. Their debut in New York City was at the legendary Birdland Club. In 2006 the trio released their second album, Gleda, which is centred around Scandinavian songs.
- 2006 Ben Webster Prize
- 2006 Australian Jazz Bell Award nomination in the Best International Jazz Release for Gleda
With Stefano Bollani / Jesper Bodilsen / Morten Lund:
- 2003: Mi ritorni in mente, Stunt Records
- 2006:Gleda, Songs from Scandinavia, Stunt Records
- 2009: Stone In The Water, ECM
With Yelena Eckemoff / Mads Vinding / Morten Lund:
- 2010: Grass Catching the Wind, L & H Production
- Biography. Morten Lund. Retrieved on 2010-01-04.
- Stefano Bollani/Jesper Bodilsen/Morten Lund. Gaffa. Retrieved on 2010-03-19.
- 3.0 3.1 3.2 Stefano Bollani, - Jesper Bodilsen - Morten Lund: Mi Ritorini in Mente. Moonlight News. Retrieved on 2010-03-19.
- Fresu, Paolo. Encyclopedia of Jazz Musicians. Retrieved on 2010-01-04.
- Prizewinners. Ben Webster Foundation. Retrieved on 2010-03-18.
- Gleda: Songs From Scandinavia. All About Jazz. Retrieved on 2010-03-18.
[mortenlund.dk Official website]