born in 1956 in Detroit, MI, United States
Links www.randyjohnston.net (English)
Randy Johnston (b. 1956, Detroit) is an American jazz guitarist.
Johnston moved to Richmond, Virginia, at age thirteen, and played rock music as a teenager. He studied at the University of Miami late in the 1970s and switched focus to jazz music, playing there with Ira Sullivan. He moved to New York City in 1981, and in the 1980s played with Houston Person and Etta Jones. In 1991 he signed with Muse Records; his first two albums were produced by Person and engineered by Rudy Van Gelder. He has recorded steadily as a leader since then, and has also played as a sideman on albums with Lionel Hampton, Lou Donaldson, Jack McDuff, Lonnie Smith, and Joey DeFrancesco.
- Walk On (Muse Records, 1991)
- Jubilation (Muse, 1992)
- In-A-Chord (Muse, 1994)
- Somewhere in the Night (HighNote Records, 1997)
- Riding the Curve (JCurve, 1998)
- Homage (JCurve, 2000)
- Detour Ahead (HighNote, 2001)
- Hit & Run (HighNote, 2002)
- Is it You? (HighNote, 2005)
- People Music (Random Act Records, 2011)
- [Randy Johnston at All Music Guide Randy Johnston] at Allmusic