Ray Chew (born c. 1968) is an American musician who specializes in keyboards and contemporary and orchestral arranging.
Chew was a member of the Saturday Night Live Band from 1980 to 1983. As of the late 2000s, he is the music director for the syndicated television series Showtime at the Apollo, and the bandleader on the The Singing Bee.
Chew was the bandleader during the 2008 Democratic National Convention and at the Barack Obama Neighborhood Ball a the First inauguration of Barack Obama in 2009.
He grew up in the Grant Houses, located on 125th Street, several blocks west of the Apollo Theater.
It was announced on December 30, 2010 that he will be replacing Rickey Minor as the new music director on American Idol. And replacing Harold Wheeler for the upcoming season of Dancing With The Stars.
- 1.0 1.1 Lustig, Jay. "New Jersey musician kicks off festival paying tribute to African-American culture", The Star-Ledger, February 26, 2009. Accessed February 26, 2009.
- Beckerman, Jim. "The pro who rules amateur night", The Record (Bergen County), June 28, 2009. Accessed June 28, 2009.
- Halperin, Shirley, 'Idol' hires Ray Chew as new music director, Hollywood Reporter, Today Show, December 30, 2010.
- Official website
- Ray Chew at MySpace
- Ray Chew at the Internet Movie Database
- Ray Chew 2013 Audio Interview at Soulinterviews.com