geboren am 24.10.1969 in New York City, NY, USA
Jesse Harris (born 1969) is a Grammy Award winning American singer-songwriter. He has collaborated with several musical artists including Norah Jones, Melody Gardot, Madeleine Peyroux, Nikki Yanofsky, and Lizz Wright.
Early life and education
Harris was born in New York City, along with his twin sister. He graduated from Cornell University in 1991 with a Bachelor of Arts degree, in English.
Harris gave guitar lessons and performed in "various musical groups" before he formed the duo Once Blue with singer/songwriter Rebecca Martin. Once Blue released its self-titled debut on EMI Records in 1995 and nine additional songs were included in the album's re-release in 2003.
Harris became a songwriter for Sony Publishing for a time and then created three self-released recordings with his new band, the Ferdinandos consisting of Harris, Tony Scherr, Tim Luntzel, and Kenny Wollesen. The band released two more albums on Verve Records and Harris later recorded three solo albums Mineral, Feel, and Watching the Sky on his own label, Secret Sun Recordings. In 2003 he was awarded a Grammy Award for Song of the Year for "Don't Know Why," performed by Norah Jones.
In 2007, Harris contributed new and existing songs to the soundtrack of the film The Hottest State. Harris also acted in the film and Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Feist, Cat Power, and M. Ward and on some of his songs.
Harris has toured throughout North America, South America, Australia, Europe and Japan and has been an opening act for Norah Jones, American Music Club, Bright Eyes, Joshua Radin and Ani DiFranco. Harris was a judge for the 10th annual Independent Music Awards to support independent artists.
In August 2010 Harris released his album Through the Night and recorded a new version of his song "The Secret Sun" for a Corona (beer) commercial.
Harris' 11th album, Sub Rosa, was released in July 2012 and features guest vocals from Conor Oberst, Melody Gardot, and Norah Jones.
Harris' 12th album, the stripped down Borne Away, was released on June 25, 2013.
His music has been described as a "blend [of] folk, rock, jazz, and world rhythms."
- Once Blue (1995)
- Jesse Harris and the Ferdinandos (1999)
- Crooked Lines (2001)
- Without You (2002)
- The Secret Sun (2003)
- While the Music Lasts (2004)
- Mineral (2005)
- Feel (2007)
- Watching the Sky (2009)
- Through the Night (2010)
- Cosmo - Instrumental album (2010)
- Sub Rosa (2012)
- Borne Away (2013)
- Norah Jones- Come Away With Me (Blue Note Records)
- Norah Jones- Feels Like Home (Blue Note Records)
- Norah Jones- Not Too Late (Blue Note Records)
- Norah Jones- The Fall (Blue Note Records)
- Solomon Burke- Like A Fire (Shout! Factory)
- Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (Saddle Creek Records)
- Bright Eyes - Motion Sickness (Team Love Records)
- Madeleine Peyroux Careless Love (Rounder Records)
- Madeleine Peyroux Half The Perfect World (Rounder Records)
- Melody Gardot The Absence (Universal Records)
- 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Jesse Harris biography. - MusicianGuide.com.
- 2.0 2.1 Discography, JesseHarrisMusic.com
- Marie Masters. TV.com. Retrieved on 2013-03-29.
- Weiss, Rebecca (November 7, 2007). The Cornell Connection: Jesse Harris '92 Grammy-Winner succeeds in life despite (or because of?) low GPA. The Cornell Daily Sun. Retrieved on 2009-01-04.
- Notable Cornell University Alumni: Music. Cornell University. Retrieved on 2013-03-29.
- Johnson, Zac. Jesse Harris - Music Biography, Credits and Discography. AllMusic. Retrieved on 2013-03-29.
- 7.0 7.1 Soundtrack, Original. 'The Hottest State' Gets an All-Star Soundtrack. NPR. Retrieved on 2013-03-29.
- Farber, Jim, 'State' of the art, Daily News, August 5, 2007. URL accessed on 2013-03-29.
- Jesse Harris Interview, ConcertLiveWire.com
- Independent Music Awards. Independent Music Awards. Retrieved on 2013-03-29.
- Biography, JesseHarrisMusic.com
- Dangerbird Records store: Jesse Harris, Sub Rosa. Store.dangerbirdrecords.com. Retrieved on 2013-03-29.
- Chris Rutledge (June 14, 2012). Watch Two New Trailers For Jesse Harris Sub Rosa. American Songwriter. Archived from the original on 2010-06-17. Retrieved on 17 June 2012.
- Gorce, Tammy La (2007-07-10). Feel - Jesse Harris : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards. AllMusic. Retrieved on 2013-03-29.
- Official website
- Discography at JesseHarrisMusic.com.
- Jesse Harris at MySpace
- "'The Hottest State' Gets an All-Star Soundtrack". - NPR (National Public Radio) at NPR.org.
Dieser Artikel basiert auf dem Artikel Jesse Harris aus der freien Enzyklopädie Wikipedia und steht unter der GNU-Lizenz für freie Dokumentation.
In der Wikipedia ist eine Liste der Autoren verfügbar.