geboren am 13.12.1959 in Göteborg, Västergötland, Schweden
Staffan William-Olsson (born 13 December 1959 in Gothenburg, Sweden) is a Swedish Jazz musician (guitar) and composer, known guitarist of The Real Thing, and the collaborations with the likes of Bob Berg, Lee Konitz and Palle Mikkelborg.
He played piano, guitar and drums already at the age of 7, and studied classical piano with a jazz-oriented teacher. Eventually he was oriented towards the guitar, with the blues and rock music as main sources of influence (Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin as main models).
When he discovered jazz-rock, Weather Report, John McLaughlin and Allan Holdsworth among others became the new sources of inspiration. George Benson's record Bad Benson was a turning point, it opened up his ears for the clean, undistorted guitar sound, and guitarists like Pat Martino was a great influence.
William-Olsson was after classical piano studies at Göteborg Musikhögskola (he is autodidact guitarist), the replasement for Ulf Wakenius in the Swedish fusion band Hawk on Flight, and also collaboraterd with such as Bob Berg, Lee Konitz and Palle Mikkelborg.
He moved to Oslo in 1986 and worked as a freelance guitarist before becoming a part of the hard rock band Sons of Angels in 1989. The band signed a recording contract with Atlantic Records, and toured the east coast of USA and Europe. The album sold 100,000 copies, and the band broke up.
The Real Thing was established in 1992. The solo albums Three Shades of Blue (1995) and Smile! (1998), was bouth nominated for the Spellemannprisen. Thereafter he has released two more albums, Oak Road Boogaloo (2000) and Pop! (2002). William-Olsson starte the mini big band «Sharp 9» in 2005, inspired by the likes of Art Pepper and Miles Davis. Within «Sharp 9» he released NO:Network (2004) and Sudoku (2007).
- 1995: Three Shades of Blue (Real Music Records)
- 1998: Smile! (Real Music Records)
- 2000: Oak Road Boogaloo (Real Music Records)
- 2002: Pop! (Real Music Records)
- Within The Real Thing
- 1992: The Real Thing (Real Music Records)
- 1993: ...in New York (Real Music Records), feat. Lew Soloff produced by Georg «Jojje» Wadenius, and nominated for the Spellemannprisen 1994
- 1994: A Perfect Match (Real Music Records), with Bohuslän Big Band, arranged and produced by the Los Angeles based arranger Tom Kubis
- 1995: Live (Real Music Records)
- 1997: Pleasure is an Attitude (Real Music Records)
- 2000: Deluxe (Real Music Records), with Even Kruse Skatrud and the Norwegian Radio Orchestra
- 2003: New Wrapping (Real Music Records)
- 2006: A Real Christmas (Real Music Records), feat. Sigrid Brennhaug on vocal
- With «Sharp 9»
- 2004: NO:Network (Real Music Records)
- 2007: Sudoku (Real Music Records)
- With Terje Gewelt
- 2013: Steppingstone (Resonant Music), including with Adam Nussbaum
- 1.0 1.1 "Staffan William-Olsson".. Store Norske Leksikon. Retrieved on 2012-10-30.
- Oslo Jazzfestival presenterer: Staffan William-Olsson Sekstett (Norwegian). Underskog.no. Retrieved on 2012-10-30.
- 3.0 3.1 Charlotte Braten (2007-09-21). Staffan William-Olsson - Ukas P2-artist 18.- 22. august 2007 kjent med Staffan William-Olsson (Norwegian). NRK.no. Retrieved on 2012-10-30.
Dieser Artikel basiert auf dem Artikel Staffan William-Olsson aus der freien Enzyklopädie Wikipedia und steht unter der GNU-Lizenz für freie Dokumentation.
In der Wikipedia ist eine Liste der Autoren verfügbar.