geboren am 10.9.1958 in Takoma Park, MD, USA
Chuck Redd (born September 10, 1958) is an American jazz drummer and vibraphonist.
Redd began touring the globe and recording when he joined the Charlie Byrd Trio at the age of 21. He also joined The Great Guitars (Barney Kessel, Byrd and Herb Ellis). To his credit are 25 European tours and 6 tours of Japan, with the Barney Kessel Trio, Ken Peplowski, Terry Gibbs and Conte Candoli.
Redd was featured vibraphonist with the Mel Tormé All-Star Jazz Quintet from 1991 until 1996. While appearing in New York with Tormé, Ira Gitler of Jazz Times wrote: "Redd's vibes were equally notable for vigor and melodiousness."
Redd is featured on over 75 recordings. Releases include his Arbors CDs, "The Common Thread," "Happy All The Time: Chuck Redd Remembers Barney Kessel," and "All This and Heaven Too," "Chopin Jazz" with Rossano Sportiello, Youre My Everything with Dick Hyman and Jay Leonhart, and Cant Take My Eyes Off You with vocalist/bassist Nicki Parrott. He can also be heard on the sound track to the popular television series, "The Great Chefs, and the NPR broadcast "Jazz Smithsonian. His Arbors CD "Happy All The Time," is a critically acclaimed tribute to his mentor, Barney Kessel and features Monty Alexander and Jeff Hamilton. Redd's Noteworthy CD, "When Redd is Blue" is a collaboration with his brother, pianist Robert Redd, featuring saxophonist Harry Allen. Redd's newest release, "The Common Thread" features Mickey Roker, Bob Cranshaw, Houston Person and Rossano Sportiello.
Redds career highlights include a concert with the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet in Africa for the Namibian Independence Celebration, a recital at the White House with the Barney Kessel Trio, concerts at Carnegie Hall with Mel Torme's Quintet, and The Tonight Show. In 2008, he was a featured soloist in the finale concert at The Lionel Hampton International Jazz Festival with The Lionel Hampton Big Band and the Clayton/Hamilton Jazz Orchestra. In February 2013, Redd performed with the Dream Band co-led with Jeff Hamilton in a salute to vibes legend Terry Gibbs.
In 2007 Redd was featured with the prestigious "Milt Jackson Tribute Band." Other recent engagements include jazz cruises, stints with Bucky Pizzarelli and Ken Peplowski at Dizzy's Club (Jazz at Lincoln Center) performances at Smalls Jazz Club in New York City and jazz festivals around the US. He has toured and performed with Dizzy Gillespie, Mel Torme, Tommy Flanagan, Dick Hyman, Ray Brown, Monty Alexander, Laurindo Almeida, Tal Farlow, Rebecca Kilgore, Scott Hamilton, Mickey Roker and Houston Person.
Redd served as Artist-In-Residence at The Smithsonian Jazz Café in Washington, DC from 2004-2008. In addition to leading his own groups, he was a member of the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra for 15 years.
Redd is on the faculty at The University of Maryland School of Music and presents master classes, workshops and lectures around the country.
He currently lives in Takoma Park, MD with his wife and son.
|Album Title||Year||Record Label|
|The Common Thread||2011||Arbors Records|
|When Redd is Blue||2007||Noteworthy Jazz|
|Happy All the Time: Chuck Redd Remembers Barney Kessel||2006||Arbors Records|
|All This and Heaven Too||2002||Arbors Records|
|Stomp, Look, and Listen||1995||Exclusive Arts|
- 2013 - Nice 'n' Easy - w/ Houston Person, John di Martino, Ray Drummond, & Lewis Nash (HighNote Records)
- 2012 - Blues For Night People: The Nate Najar Trio Remembers Charlie Byrd - w/ Nate Najar & Tommy Cecil (Candid Records)
- 2012 - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - w/ Nicki Parrott (Venus Records)
- 2011 - You're My Everything - The Music Of Harry Warren - w/ Dick Hyman & Jay Leonhart (Venus Records)
- 2011 - In Search Of - w/ Ken Peplowski (Capri Records)
- 2011 - Mood Ebony - w/ Marty Nau (Summit Records)
- 2010 - Chopin in Jazz - w/ Rossano Sportiello (Gangaen Music)
- 2009 - Johnny Mercer: A Centennial Tribute - w/ Daryl Sherman (Arbors Records)
- 2009 - Vol. 3: Gene Krupa...Jazz Pioneer! - Swing Masters (Dare Records)
- 2008 - Vol. 2: Benny...King of Swing! - Swing Masters (Dare Records)
- 2008 - Vol. 1: Happy Birthday..Lionel! - Swing Masters (Dare Records)
- 2007 - Christmas With the Nate Najar Trio - w/ Nate Najar & John Lamb (Blue Buffalo Records)
- 2007 - Sassy & Bessie A-Live at the Paradise Lounge - w/ Ericka Ovette & Ruby Hayes (Patuxent Music)
- 2006 - I'm All Smiles - w/ Nate Najar, Steve Boisen, Duduka Da Fonseca (Blue Line Music)
- 2006 - Live at the Mainstay - w/ Steve Abshire, Vince Lewis, & Joe Byrd (Noteworthy Jazz)
- 2005 - Bound Away - w/ Eric Brace (Blue Buffalo Records)
- 2005 - Homage to Jobim: Live at the Fujitsu-Concord 26th Jazz Festival - Recorded live at the 26th-annual Concord Jazz Festival (Concord Records)
- 2005 - Live at Duke's Place New Orleans 1993 - The Charlie Byrd Trio (FS World Jazz)
- 2004 - Big Brass Bed Blues - The Steve Abshire Quartet w/ Herb Ellis (Patuxent Music)- Original Release 1986
- 2004 - Tribute to a Generation: A Salute to the Big Bands - w/ The Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra (Smithsonian Folkways Recordings)
- 2003 - Among Friends - w/ Joe Wilder (Evening Star)
- 2002 - Plays Jobim Charlie Byrd Jobim Compilation (Concord Records)
- 2001 - Great Guitars: Live w/ Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel, and Charlie Byrd (Concord Records)
- 2000 - For Louis: A Tribute to Louis Armstrong w/ Charlie Byrd (Concord Records)
- 2000 - Mundell's Moods w/ Mundell Lowe & Hendrik Meurkens (Nagel-Heyer Records: Germany)
- 1999 - Burnin' The Herb Ellis Trio w/ Hendrik Meurkens (Acoustic Music)
- 1999 - Half-Past Swing w/ The Uptown Vocal Jazz Quartet (HouseKat)
- 1999 - My Inspiration: Music of Brazil w/ Charlie Byrd, Scott Hamilton, Maucha Adnet & Trio Da Paz (Concord Records)
- 1999 - Out of This World w/ Loren Schoenberg and His Jazz Orchestra (TCB)
- 1999 - The Feeling of Jazz w/ Tommy Newsom & Ken Peplowski (Arbors Records)
- 1998 - Grenadilla w/ Ken Peplowski & the Loren (Concord Records)
- 1997 - A Good Reed w/ Ken Peplowski & the Loren Schoenberg Big Band (Concord Records)
- 1997 - Au Courant The Charlie Byrd Trio - (Concord Records)
- 1997 - Big Band Treasures Live w/ The Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra (Smithsonian Institution)
- 1996 - The Other Portrait - w/ Ken Peplowski & The Bulgarian National Symphony (Concord Records)
- 1995 - And Not Only That - Brooks Tegler's Hot Jazz (Circle)
- 1994 - I've Got the World on a String - The Charlie Byrd Trio (Timeless Records)
- 1994 - Fujitsu-Concord 26th Jazz Festival - Recorded live at the 26th-annual Concord Jazz Festival (Concord Records)
- 1994 - Keep Em Flying - Brooks Tegler's Hot Jazz (Concord Records)
- 1994 - Moments Like This - The Charlie Byrd Trio (Concord Records)
- 1993 - From Bessie to Brazil - w/ Susannah McCorkle (Concord Records)
- 1992 - Swing Song - The Hot Mustard Jazz Band w/ Buck Hill (Zest)
- 1992 - The Washington Guitar Quintet - w/ Howard Aldin and Carlos Barbosa-Lima (Concord Records)
- 1991 - Live! At Blues Alley - The Charlie Byrd Trio (Blues Alley Music Society)
- 1991 - The Bossa Nova Years - The Charlie Byrd Trio w/ Ken Peplowski (Concord Records)
- 1988 - It's a Wonderful World - The Charlie Byrd Trio (Concord Records)
- 1987 - 555 Feet High - w/ Bill Potts Big Band (Jazz Mark 107 Digital)
- 1986 - Byrd and Brass - w/ The Charlie Byrd Trio and the Annapolis Brass Quintet (Concord Records)
- 1985 - Tango: Laurindo Almeida and Charlie Byrd - w/ Laurindo Almeida and Charlie Byrd (Concord Records)
- 1984 - Isn't It Romantic? - The Charlie Byrd Trio (Concord Records)
- 1982 - Great Guitars at Charlie's Georgetown - The Great Guitars w/ Charlie Byrd, Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel (Concord Records)
- 1982 - Latin Odyssey - w/ Laurindo Almeida (Concord Records)
- 1981 - Brazilville - The Charlie Byrd Trio w/ Bud Shank (Concord Records)
Appearances on Compilations
- 2007 - Breathe: Relaxing Bossa (Telarc Distribution)
- 2006 - Playboy Jazz: Cocktail Mix - Playboy Jazz Compilation (Playboy Jazz)
- 2005 - Concord Picante 25th Anniversary Collection (Concord Records)
- 2004 - Concord Jazz Sampler Vol.2 - (Concord Records)
- 2003 - Concord Records 30th Anniversary (Concord Records)
- 2003 - Concord Records SACD Sampler, Vol. 1 (Concord Records)
- 2003 - Playboy Jazz After Dark w/ Charlie Byrd (Playboy Jazz)
- 2002 - Ballad Essentials w/ Susannah McCorkle (Concord Records)
- 2002 - Nagel Heyer Artists: Jazz4Beaches: Music to Enjoy (Nagel-Heyer Records: Germany)
- 2000 - The Best of the Concord Years' Charlie Byrd Concord Compilation (Concord Records)
- 1999 - Jazz After Dark, Vol. 1 (St. Claire)
- 1999 - Sunday Morning Jazz Various Artists (St. Clair Entertainment Group)
- 1998 - The Concord Jazz Heritage Series The Great Guitars Compilation (Concord Records)
- 1998 - The Concord Jazz Heritage Series The Charlie Byrd Compilation (Concord Records)
- 1997 - Irving Berlin Songbook GRP's Priceless Jazz series (Concord Records)
- 1997 - Rodgers & Hart Songbook GRP's Priceless Jazz series (Concord Records)
- 1997 - Swingin' Jazz for Hipsters, Vol. 1 Concord Jazz Compilation (Concord Records)
- [Chuck Redd at All Music Guide allmusic]
- Birchmeier, Jason. [Chuck Redd at All Music Guide Chuck Redd: Biography]. Allmusic. Retrieved on 2013-06-29.
- 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Feather, Leonard and Gitler, Ira (1999) The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz, p. 550. Oxford University Press at Google Books. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Chuck Redd - Bio
- Chuck Redd Official Website
- Chuck Redd - Biography
- University of Maryland Music Directory
- AllMusic Artist Profile
- Jazz Biographies
- W. C. Handy Jazz All-Stars at Bhamwiki.com
Dieser Artikel basiert auf dem Artikel Chuck Redd aus der freien Enzyklopädie Wikipedia und steht unter der GNU-Lizenz für freie Dokumentation.
In der Wikipedia ist eine Liste der Autoren verfügbar.