born in 1953 in Kirklareli, Kirklareli, Turkey
Links www.burhanocal.com (English)
Burhan Öçal (born 1959 in Krklareli, Turkey) is a Turkish music specialist, multi-instrumentalist and composer. He is recognized worldwide as a virtuosic percussionist specializing in a variety of percussion instruments, interested in combining many genres and cultural traditions, such as Free funk jazz and Western classical music, with his own.
In his special project Trakya All Stars he collaborates with master musicians from the Thrace region, paying tribute to the musical heritage of his birthplace Krklareli. The Roma-Balkan influenced album possesses a timeless character which manages to take deep tradition to a contemporary level. It is produced by the Tunisian born French musician, sound engineer and producer Smadj, highly respected for his knowledge of oriental music and for his digital innovations. With his latest project New Dream Burhan Öçal brings new wealth to Turkish classical music by breaking the bindings of its constricting rules and allowing the music to breathe again with new life.
Burhan Öçal performed and recorded with internationally acclaimed musicians including Joe Zawinul, Jamaaladeen Tacuma, Paco de Lucia, Natacha Atlas, Kronos Quartet, Eliot Fisk, Sting, Maria, Seamus Blake Quartet, Joao Pires and George Gruntz. Winner of the German Record Critics Award twice and the Prix Choc, Öçal toured extensively and appeared in prestigious world festivals including [Festival International de Jazz de Montreal] to an audience of more than 150,000.
- Burhan Öçal & Trakya All Stars - Oynamaya Geldik (Doublemoon 2006)
- Burhan Öçal - New Dream (Doublemoon 2005)
- Burhan Öçal - Sultan Orhan (Doublemoon 2004)
- Burhan Öçal & The Trakya All Stars featuring Smadj - Krklareli l Snr (Doublemoon 2003)
- Burhan Öçal & Jamaaladeen Tacuma - Groove Alla Turca (Doublemoon 1999)
- with Enver Izmailov - Kara Deniz/Black Sea - (Unit Records 1992)
- Tunisian born French musician Smadj, sound engineer and producer worked on album.
- Joe Zawinul
- Jamaaladeen Tacuma, bass guitar master
- Paco de Lucia
- Natacha Atlas
- Kronos Quartet
- Eliot Fisk
- Seamus Blake Quartet
- Joao Pires
- George Gruntz
- Pete Namlook
- Emel Sayn
- Enver Izmailov
with Istanbul Oriental Ensemble and Zuercher Kammerorchester, Howard Griffiths: "Concerto alla turca". 2006 Universal Music Switzerland.
- Quarterly Critics' Choice from German Record Critics Award 1995 for "Gypsy Rum" and 1997 for "Sultans Secret Door"
- Prix Choc
- Who is who database - Biography of Burhan Öçal (Turkish)