born on 20/2/1926 in Liège, Wallonie, Belgium
died on 4/3/1963 in New York City, NY, United States
Links www.jazzinbelgium.com (English)
Bobby Jaspar (20 February 1926 – 28 February 1963) was a Belgian cool jazz and hard bop saxophonist, flautist and composer.
Born in Liège, Belgium, Jaspar learned to play piano and clarinet at a very young age. Later, he took up the tenor saxophone and flute.
With the "Bop Shots" band, he took his first steps in the jazz world. In 1950, Jaspar moved to Paris, playing and recording with the best musicians of the era. Here he met his future wife, Blossom Dearie.
In 1956, Jaspar was persuaded to try his luck in the United States, where his reputation in jazz circles had preceded him. He played and recorded with the quintet of J. J. Johnson, with Kenny Burrell, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Donald Byrd and many others.
In 1961/1962, Jaspar returned to Europe for a year for a series of concerts and a number of recordings. With his colleague, Belgian guitarist René Thomas, he formed a successful quintet. In some sessions, this was expanded to a powerful sextet with American trumpeter Chet Baker. One of those sessions was immortalised on the record Chet Is Back!, recorded in 1962.
Bobby Jaspar died from a heart attack in New York City on 28 February 1963 at age 37.
- Flute Flight (Prestige, 1957) with Herbie Mann
- Flute Soufflé (Prestige, 1957) with Herbie Mann
- Bobby Jaspar Quartet at Ronnie Scott's (Mole, 1962)
- In Paris (DRG, 1990)
- Memory of Dick (Polygram, 1991)
- Phenil Isopropil Amine (Polygram, 1991)
- Bobby Jaspar & George Wallington (OJC, 1994) (with Idrees Sulieman)
- Bobby Jaspar & His Modern Jazz (Vogue, 1999)
- Bobby Jaspar & Henri Renaud (Vogue, 2000)
- Jazz in Paris Modern Jazz Au Club St Germain (Gitanes, 2001)
- Flute Flight (OJC, 2003) (coled by Herbie Mann & Bobby Jaspar)
- Bobby Jaspar With Friends (Fresh Sound, 2004) (with Mundell Lowe & René Thomas)
- Clarinescapade (Fresh Sound, 2007)
- Jeux De Cartes (Universal, 2008)
- Complete Live at the Bohemia Recordings: J. J. Johnson Quintet feat. Bobby Jaspar (Fresh Sound, 2009)
- Revisited (Traditions Alive, 2010)
- Modern Jazz Au Club (Universal, 2010)
With Kenny Burrell
- Weaver of Dreams (Columbia, 1960–61)
With Donald Byrd
- Byrd In Paris (Brunswick, 1958)
- Parisian Thoroughfare (Brunswick, 1958)
With Milt Jackson
- Bags & Flutes (Atlantic, 1957)
With J. J. Johnson
- J Is for Jazz (Columbia, 1956)
- Dial J. J. 5 (Columbia, 1957)
- Really Livin' (Columbia, 1959)
With Hank Jones
- Hank Jones' Quartet (Savoy, 1956)
With Wynton Kelly
- Kelly Blue (Riverside, 1959)
With The Prestige All Stars
- Interplay for 2 Trumpets and 2 Tenors (Prestige, 1957)