born on 13/6/1931 in Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
died on 25/9/2005 in Paris, Île-de-France, France
Links www.allmusic.com (English)
Georges Arvanitas (June 13, 1931 – September 25, 2005) was a French jazz pianist and organist.
Life and career
He was born in Marseille, a child of Arvanite Greek immigrants from Constantinople. At the age of four he began studying piano and initially trained as a classical pianist, switching to jazz some time in his teens. His influences included Bud Powell and Bill Evans. In the late 1950s, he featured on albums by Art Farmer and Louis Hayes, and played with Dexter Gordon and Johnny Griffin. He also worked with Yusef Lateef.
- Georges Arvanitas trio - Cocktail For Three - Pretoria (1959)
- Georges Arvanitas trio in concert - Futura Ger 11 (1969)
- Space Ballad (1970)
- Les classiques du jazz (1970)
- Ambiance Musique Luis Conti (1971)
- Brigitte Fontaine (1972)
- Douce ambiance (1972)
- Porgy and Bess (1973)
- Live again - Futura Ger 38-39 (1973)
- Anniversary (1976)
- I Like It Cool (1976)
- Feeling Jazzy (1977)
- Swing Again (1978)
- The Hound of Music" (1978)
- Round About Midnight (1985)
- Qu'est-ce qu'on joue? (1986)
- Quartet (1987)
- Orgue Hammond (1988)
- Bird of Paradise (1988)
- One Night for 3 Pianos (1989)
- A alors (1990)
- Georges Arvanitas plays George Gershwin (1993)
- Georges Arvanitas plays… Duke Ellington (1993)
- Live (1993)
- Rencontre (1997) - with Ira Coleman and Joe Chambers
- My Favorite Piano Songs (1997)
- Little Florence (2000)
With Ted Curson
- The New Thing & the Blue Thing (Atlantic, 1965)
- Pop Wine (Futura, 1971)
- Cattin' Curson (Marge, 1973)
With Yusef Lateef
- Psychicemotus (Impulse 1965)
- Cook, Richard (2005). Richard Cook's Jazz Encyclopedia. London: Penguin Books. p. 21. ISBN 0-141-00646-3.
- "George Arvanitas" (obituary), Daily Telegraph, October 6, 2005.
- Carr, Ian; Digby Fairweather and Brian Priestley, Rough Guide to Jazz, Rough Guides, 2004, ISBN 1-84353-256-5, ISBN 978-1-84353-256-9.
- Yusef Lateef and Herb Boyd, The Gentle Giant: The autobiography of Yusef Lateef, Morton Books, 2006, p. 99.
- Album Live Again at www.sefronia.com