born on 4/1/1941 in Philadelphia, PA, United States
Links joerenzetti.net (English)
Joe Renzetti an American Academy Award-winning film composer, and session musician.
Born in Philadelphia PA Renzetti moved to Hollywood, and was called to arrange the music for the 1978 film The Buddy Holly Story. This iconic movie garnered Joe Renzetti an Academy Award for Best Adaptation Score. Although the music was that of Holly's, Renzetti taught the actors to play their instruments, sing the songs from scratch, and act as a performing group. When they were ready as a group, they were filmed in live performances, this had never been done on film before.
He also scored Elvis (1979), Fatso (1980), The Exterminator (1980), Dead & Buried (1981), Vice Squad (1982), Poltergeist III (1988), the original Child's Play (1988), Lisa (1990), Frankenhooker (1990), Basket Case 2 and Basket Case 3 (1990/1), an episode of Tales from the Crypt, and Wired Angel (1999). Renzetti scored the TV series Missing Persons. Joe Renzetti scores films, TV, composes works for orchestra, chamber groups, and solo artists, and recently scored episodes of Tom Holland's Twisted Tales for FearNet.
As a result of Dick Clark and American Bandstand, originating from Philly, Cameo-Parkway records came into existence. Renzetti became Cameo Records' house guitarist, and played on the hits "Let's Twist Again", " Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time"", "South Street", The "Limbo Rock", "Palisades Park, and "Tallahassee Lassie".
Fascinated by the advances in recording technology, and the profession of arranging for records, in 1963 Renzetti moved to New York. There he arranged "Sunny" by Bobby Hebb, "98.6" by Keith, "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie" by Jay & the Techniques, and "Mandy" by Barry Manilow.
List of selected works
- "Waltz" for Blues-Harmonica and Orchestra.
- "Echo" for Classical Guitar Quartet.
- "On a Chord By Kessel." for Classical Guitar Quartet.
- "Holiday Furioso" Scherzo for Orchestra.
- "String Quartet in F." - "American"
- "First Chair" A Concerto for Orchestra.
- "The 1912 Overture" for Jazz Piano solo and Orchestra.
- "Concerto for Three Guitars and Orchestra"
- "Blues, for me?"
- 1978: Academy Award for Best Adaptation Score, The Buddy Holly Story
- Gold Record for "Sunny" by Bobby Hebb
- Gold Record for "Mandy" by Barry Manilow
- Razzie Awards - Worst Musical Score for: "Under the Rainbow" (1981)
- American Cinema of The 1970s: Themes and Variations - Lester D. Friedman - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. 2007-04-15. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- "Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences". Oscars.org. 2012-08-24. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- "Joe Renzetti". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- "Classic Tracks-Chubby Checker's "The Twist"". Mixonline.com. 2007-03-01. Retrieved 2014-06-28. Joe Renzetti was Huff and Gamble's first arranger, one of the originators of "The Sound Of Philadelphia. Template:Cite credits on original records - Allmusic. Record producer Jerry Ross
- "Joe Renzetti, Philadelphia History of Music, Rock & Roll, Oldies". Thatphillysound.com. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- "Concert". Joerenzetti.net. Retrieved 2014-06-28.