Links copenhagenrecords.dk (English)
|Parent company||MBO Group|
|Founded||January 5, 2004|
|Founder(s)|| Jakob Sørensen
|Country of origin||Denmark|
Copenhagen Records (CPH Records) is a mainstream Danish independent record label formed on 5 January 2004 by former EMI Recorded Music Denmark staff members to give artists more artistic autonomy. It houses artists spread over a wide range of genres, from goth rock to rap, and from pop artists to comedians.
In 2003, EMI-Medley had a 40% share on the Danish music market. Days after Medley-founder Michael Ritto announced he would depart in February 2004, other staff members announced they would start Copenhagen Records with an aim "to recruit and develop quality Danish musicians. Sales of Danish artists have not dipped nearly as much as international acts [in Denmark]," as Christensen explains. The label also had the direct intention to create a strong local competitor against the established multinational labels.
Former Medley marketing manager Jakob Sørensen and former A&R manager Christian Backman set up operations; former EMI Denmark head of A&R Nick Foss and former Capitol/Medley GM Mik Christensen joined on 1 April 2004. Christensen and Foss had worked at EMI for 19 years and long wanted to start a company of their own, but Ritto persuaded them to hold off those plans.
In 2005, Christensen and Foss also started Mermaid Records, which is largely owned by Sony Music Entertainment Denmark since 2008. In 2008, Christensen and Foss left Copenhagen Records. Sørensen holds the position of CEO and product manager, and Backman is creative director and in charge of A&R.
In 2008, Copenhagen Records founded Copenhagen Music, a booking company led by Niels Lindgren, primarily facilitating bookings for the artists on CPH Records.
- 1.0 1.1 1.2 Copenhagen Records (2011). Info & Kontakt. Retrieved 26 April 2011. (Danish)
- Svidt, O. R. (17 December 2003). EMI-Medley står over for sprængning (EMI-Medley about to blow up). GAFFA. (Danish)
- 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Charles Ferro (2004-01-24). "Danish execs form label: Former EMI Denmark staffers to run Copenhagen Records". Billboard: 42. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Sony Music Entertainment (Denmark) A/S. (2011). Mermaid Records. Retrieved 26 April 2011. (Danish)
- Rustrup, S. (27 November 2008). Sony Music køber sig ind i Mermaid Records (Sony Music buys into Mermaid Records). GAFFA. (Danish)