born on 1/8/1938 in Donnycarney, Dublin, Ireland
Links members.shaw.ca (English)
He was born in Donnycarney in Dublin. His mother bought him a tin whistle when he was six and at the age of eight he started to learn the Uilleann pipes. He also plays button accordion and bodhrán. In the late 1950s he met Seán Ó Riada and joined his group Ceoltóirí Chualann in the early 1960s. Together with Garech de Brun (anglicised to Garech Browne) of Luggala, he founded Claddagh Records in 1959. In 1968 he became a producer for the label and supervised the recording of 45 albums.
He has done session work for Mike Oldfield, The Muppets, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Sting and Stevie Wonder. He is the primary composer and arranger of much of the Chieftains' music, and has composed for films including Treasure Island, The Grey Fox, Braveheart, and Gangs of New York.
- Paddy Moloney and others - The Drones and Chanters: Irish Pipering (1971)
- Paddy Moloney and Sean Potts - Tin Whistles (1974)
- Silent Night: A Christmas in Rome (1998)
- John Montague & Paddy Moloney - The Wild Dog Rose (2011)
Awards and honours
- Hinckley, David, BEYOND TARA'S HALLS THE NOMADIC CHIEFTAINS FUEL THE BOOM IN IRISH MUSIC, 1997-03-16.
- Gary Moore Celtic Champs Chieftains take to the road. Retrieved on 2010-12-16.
- Lawrence, Joe, The Chieftans founder Paddy Maloney honoured with Mexicos highest cultural award, Independent News & Media, 13 September 2012. URL accessed on 13 September 2012.
- Chieftain founder Paddy Moloney honoured by Mexican govt, RTÉ News, RTÉ, 13 September 2012. URL accessed on 13 September 2012.
- Video Interview 2011 Naples Daily News
- Paddy Moloney Interviewed on Chiff & Fipple
- Paddy Moloney at MusicBrainz
- A Word with Paddy Moloney, The New York Times, 14 February 2012. URL accessed on 16 February 2012.