born on 15/11/1974 in Virgin Islands, U.S.
Links www.reubenrogers.com (English)
Reuben Renwick Rogers (born November 15, 1974) is a Virgin Islands jazz bassist, composer and educator.
Born November 15, 1974, and raised in the Virgin Islands, Rogers was exposed to varieties of music that included calypso, reggae, gospel and jazz. In his formative years, Rogers received encouragement from his parents to explore his musical talent. He began with the clarinet, experimented with the piano, drums and guitar, yet at the age of 14 found his true passion in the bass.
Under the eye of his high school band teacher Georgia Francis, Rogers studied jazz with fellow Virgin Islanders Ron Blake and Dion Parson. Rogers' potential was recognized by numerous awards, grants and scholarships from the St. Thomas Arts Council and other local organizations. This in turn opened the door for Rogers' summer studies at Interlochen Arts Camp in Michigan and in Boston at Berklee College of Music. Upon completion of their five-week summer program, Berklee awarded Rogers a scholarship toward his degree studies.
Rogers' musical education was punctuated by numerous awards, most notably, a scholarship endowed by the Fish Middleton Jazz Society. He earned his Bachelor of Music in 1997 from Berklee College of Music. Rogers' command of both the electric and acoustic bass has aided him in adapting to various musical genres. This versatility in addition to his creative energy has led him to be a very sought after bassist. Rogers began touring professionally at the age of 17 with the Marcus Roberts trio. He has worked with jazz artists of world-renown, such as Wynton Marsalis, Roy Hargrove, Joshua Redman, Nicholas Payton, Mulgrew Miller, Jackie McLean, Charles Lloyd and Dianne Reeves, amongst others. Rogers' peers continue to influence and enrich his musical style and direction. He has toured extensively all over the globe, and has recorded on over 70 CDs.
Ever committed to supporting the arts in the Virgin Islands, Rogers returns when his schedule permits to conduct music workshops in local schools and organize fundraising concerts that benefit the education of today's island youth. His musical endeavors come full circle during performances with Ron Blake and Dion Parson in the Caribbean jazz group 21st Century.
- The things I am Reuben Rogers (Renwick Entertainment)
With Charles Lloyd
- Rabo de Nube (ECM, 2007)
- Mirror (ECM, 2010)
- Athens Concert (ECM, 2011)
- Worlds Aaron Goldberg (Sunnyside)
- "Home" -Aaron Goldberg Trio (Sunnyside)
- Cant wait for perfect Bob Reynolds (Fresh Sound)
- Testimonial Carl Allen (Atlantic)
- Denzal Sinclaire Denzal Sinclaire (Verve)
- A Little Moonlight Dianne Reeves (Blue Note)
- Nouveau Swing Donald Harrison (Impulse)
- "Gifts & Givers" -Jimmy Greene (Criss Cross)
- True Life Stories Jimmy Greene (Criss Cross)
- Beyond Joshua Redman (Warner bros.)
- "Passage of Time" -Joshua Redman (Warner Bros.)
- "Mission Statement" -Jimmy Greene (Razjaz)
- Compass Joshua Redman (Nonesuch)
- If Less is more, Nothing is Everything Kate McGarry (Palmetto)
- Dear Louis Nicholas Payton (Verve)
- Sonic Tonic Ron Blake (Mack Avenue)
- Alto Summit - Phil Woods