born on 26/3/1940 in Philadelphia, PA, United States
Alias Lewis Barry Tabackin
Links lewtabackin.com (English)
Tabackin studied flute at the Philadelphia Conservatory of Music and also studied music with composer Vincent Persichetti. In 1962 he graduated from the Conservatory and, after a stint with the U.S. Army, worked with Tal Farlow. He also worked in a combo that included Elvin Jones, Donald Byrd, and Roland Hanna. Later he would have a chair in The Dick Cavett Show's band and The Tonight Show Band with Doc Severinsen.
He formed a quartet with Toshiko Akiyoshi in the late 1960s, and in 1973 co-founded the Toshiko Akiyoshi Lew Tabackin Big Band which later became the Toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra featuring Lew Tabackin, playing bebop in Duke Ellington-influenced arrangements and compositions by Akiyoshi. Tabackin was principal soloist for the big band/orchestra from 1973 through 2003.
Jazz Foundation of America
Tabackin has become a great supporter of The Jazz Foundation of America in their mission to save the homes and the lives of America's elderly jazz and blues musicians including musicians that survived Hurricane Katrina. He sits on the Advisory Committee of the Foundation since 2002.
As leader or co-leader
Toshiko Akiyoshi Lew Tabackin Big Band
Toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra featuring Lew Tabackin
Akiyoshi - Tabackin Big Band compilations
With Maynard Ferguson
With Jazz Composer's Orchestra
With Duke Pearson
With Donald Byrd
With Toshiko Akiyoshi
With Barry Miles
With Leonard Feather
With Tom Waits
With Shelly Manne
With Jimmy Knepper
With Louie Bellson
With Bill Berry
With Freddie Hubbard
With Benny Carter
With John Colianni
With Carla White
With Howard Alden
With David Lahm
With Jimmy Amadie
With Harmonie Ensemble New York
Awards and honors
Down Beat Magazine Reader's Poll winner:
Grammy award nominations:
- Best Jazz Instrumental Performance - Big Band: 1976 (Long Yellow Road), 1977 (Road Time), 1978 (Insights), 1979 (Kogun), 1980 (Farewell), 1981 (Tanuki's Night Out), 1984 (Ten Gallon Shuffle), 1985 (March of the Tadpoles), 1992 (Carnegie Hall Concert), 1994 (Desert Lady / Fantasy).
Stereo Review magazine (US):
- Jazz Album of the Year: 1976 (Long Yellow Road)
Swing Journal (Japanese jazz magazine) awards:
- Gold Disk: 1976 (Insights), Silver Disk: 1974 (Kogun), 1979 (Salted Gingko Nuts), 1996 (Four Seasons of Morita Village)
- Lew Tabackin 70th Birthday Celebration announcement (Ref for correct birth month - vs. birth month error in (Feather/Gitler's) Encyclopedia of Jazz in the Seventies)
- Feather, Leonard, and Ira Gitler. The Encyclopedia of Jazz in the Seventies. New York: Horizon, 1976. Print.
- Down Beat Artist Profile
- archive.org. 2009-02-11. URL: http://www.archive.org/details/JonHammondJazzAngelspt.2-JFA_sWendyOxenhornonHammondCastKYOURADIO. (Archived by blogspot.com at http://www.archive.org/details/JonHammondJazzAngelspt.2-JFA_sWendyOxenhornonHammondCastKYOURADIO)
- Dryden, Ken, "Lew Tabackin: Jazz na Hrad (2010)," allaboutjazz.com. Accessed 2011 September 26.
- Mosaic Records, Mosaic Select Vol. 33. Accessed 2008 September 19.
- VIEW DVD Listing
- Down Beat magazine critic's poll winners database. Accessed 2007 October 4
- Down Beat magazine Readers Poll winners database "archives" Accessed 2010 March.
- LA Times (Grammy) Awards database. Accessed 2007 October 4
- Swing Journal (Japanese Jazz magazine) Gold / Silver Disk Award winners (Japanese link). Accessed 2007 October 4
- LEW TABACKIN home page
- [Lew Tabackin at All Music Guide Allmusic]
- All About Jazz, Fireside Chat with Lew Tabackin
- Lew Tabackin Interview by breakthruradio.com
|Lew Tabackin discography|
|Lew Tabackin recordings,
as leader or co-leader
|Tabackin / Let the Tape Roll Daydream Dual Nature Trackin' Tenor Gladness, with Warne Marsh Rites of Pan Vintage Tenor Lew Tabackin Meets the Tadpoles Black and Tan Fantasy Phil Woods & Lew Tabackin Threedom Duo: John Lewis & Lew Tabackin My Old Flame Lew Tabackin Quartet with Randy Brecker,... Angelica Desert Lady I'll Be Seeing You What a Little Moonlight Can Do Live at Vartan's L' Archiduc - Round About Five Tenority Pyramid Tanuki's Night Out (Lew Tabackin Trio) Vintage: Duke Ellington Songbook Live in Paris ...|
Lew Tabackin Big Band
|Kogun Long Yellow Road Tales of a Courtesan (Oirantan) Road Time Insights March of the Tadpoles Live at Newport '77 Live at Newport II Salted Gingko Nuts Sumi-e Farewell From Toshiko with Love / Tanuki's Night Out European Memoirs|
|Toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra
featuring Lew Tabackin
|Ten Gallon Shuffle Wishing Peace Carnegie Hall Concert Desert Lady Fantasy Four Seasons of Morita Village Monopoly Game Tribute to Duke Ellington Hiroshima - Rising from the Abyss Last Live in Blue Note Tokyo|
|Compilations||NOVUS Series 70: The Toshiko Akiyoshi - Lew Tabackin Big Band Eternal Best / Best 8 The Best of Toshiko Akiyoshi (Big Band) Mosaic Select: Toshiko Akiyoshi - Lew Tabackin Big Band|
|Video Performances||My Elegy Strive for Jive|