Big Time Rush
Big Time Rush (band)
|Big Time Rush (band)|
Big Time Rush (also known as BTR) is an American boy band who first found fame with their series Big Time Rush which aired in 2009. The band consists of Carlos Pena, Jr., James Maslow, Kendall Schmidt and Logan Henderson. The group was signed a record deal with Nick Records simultaneously with the television series, and because of production and musical rights to the show, the group were eventually signed to Columbia/Epic Label Group.
The group's first single as a band was the song "with the same name", which was featured on their pilot of their series. The group eventually started recording their studio album and in October 2010, Big Time Rush's debut album, BTR became a success around the world. The album entered the Billboard 200 at three, selling over 60,000 copies in its first week, as well as entering charts including Mexico, Greece, Venezuela, Ireland, Belgium, Portugal, Scotland, Austria, Germany and the United Kingdom and has sold over 3 million copies worldwide, becoming their best effort. Their debut outside of the series, "Boyfriend" peaked at number seventy-two on the Billboard Hot 100 and was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). With their continuing success of the series, the group released their second sophomore album Elevate. The album achieved similar success, selling over 70,000 copies in its first week, making it debut at number twelve, but was certified gold in Mexico, becoming their second-consecutive certified album in that country. The group promoted the album with their tours, Better With U Tour and Big Time Summer Tour, which had supporting acts including One Direction.
The group has been presented as a child-appropriate group, due to their TV series and sign with Nickelodeon. The group has released two studio albums, and is due to release their third studio album. According to interviews with many outlets, the group has said that the fourth season of the TV series would expect to end after its fourth season. During their Four year career, the band has gained 5 certified records, these being both their studio albums (in Mexico), BTR, their single "Boyfriend" (in the United States), Elevate in Venezuela and windows down gold in chile. as of 2013, Big Time Rush has sold over 10 million records worldwide to date.
2009-2010: Career beginnings, deals and BTR
- Main article: BTR (album)
Scott Fellows, formerly the creator, executive producer and showrunner of fellow Nickelodeon TV series Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide created and conceived the series of Big Time Rush. Fellow's was inspired by the musical comedy TV show, The Monkees However, the show was not titled until 2009, though it was in production state since 2007.
Casting was set nationwide, and over 1500 teenage boys attended. Maslow and Henderson were the first actors cast, as they thought they were the easiest and quickest characters, while Schmidt was described the most difficult to cast. After this, Schmidt was turned down for casting and the role was still open. Originally, Curt Hansen was to be cast as Kendall Knight and to feature in the band, however he appeared a lot older in the show and was too similar to Maslow's character in the pilot episode, so co-star Logan Henderson had requested to bring him back, making Schmidt the lead role to the series.
Nickelodeon signed Big Time Rush a record deal in 2009 simultaneously with the television series, Big Time Rush. Then, Nickelodeon partnered with Columbia/Epic Label Group to produce the show and include the original music to the show. For the series, their debut single, "Big Time Rush", was released on November 29, 2009. Officially announced by Nickeloden, the series was first broadcast in the U.S. in November 2009, until it was eventually released worldwide.
It debuted during a one-hour special preview of the series and it is currently the show's opening theme. The series also saw the releases of other singles including "City is Ours" and "Any Kind of Guy". Big Time Rush also covered a Play song titled "Famous". The song was released on iTunes on June 29, 2010. Another song, "Halfway There", was released to iTunes on April 27, 2010 after its premiere on the series. The single has become their first to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at number 93 due to strong digital sales.
On September 21, 2010, Big Time Rush released a promotional single, "Till I Forget About You", to promote the release of their debut album. The album, titled BTR, was released on October 11, 2010. Soon after the release, the band went to Baltimore on October 12, 2010 to do an autograph signing at Arundel Mills Mall. The album debuted at number 3 on the Billboard 200, selling 67,000 copies in its first week of release. The album also peaked at number 4 on the Internet Albums chart and number one on the Soundtracks chart. Its track "Big Night" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 79, making it their highest peaking song. The album was later certified Gold for shipments of 500,000 copies in the U.S., over 30,000 copies were sold in Mexico resulting in its second level of Gold and it has sold over 3,000,000 copies worldwide. In November 2010, it was announced that a Christmas special of Big Time Rush would debut later that month, and that a Christmas EP would be released to coincide with the episode. The EP, titled Holiday Bundle was released on November 30, 2010. They covered "All I Want for Christmas is You", originally performed by Mariah Carey, with fellow Nickelodeon star Miranda Cosgrove, but was not released as so. Instead it was released as just them and it came with a new Christmas beat, "Beautiful Christmas". which went on to become one of the best selling holiday songs of all time on itunes.
On February 15, 2011, "Boyfriend" was released as the band's first official single to mainstream US radio. "Boyfriend" peaked at number seventy-two on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming their most successful song to date. It peaked at number 30 on the Billboard Pop Songs chart in March 2011. A remix of "Boyfriend" which featured New Boyz was leaked onto the internet. Big Time Rush was Nominated For MTV's Breakthrough Band award Honor in 2011 As Well. Big Time Rush has made sevrel appearances at KCA (Kid's Choice Awards.) also, big time rush are currently in the running for the prestigious 2013 premios oye award in mexico. with their massive global hit single "boyfriend" nominated for best international English song of 2013.
2011-2012: Elevate and touring
- Main article: Elevate (album)
The group announced they would be recording their second studio album, just after Nickeloden re-newed the series for a third season. On July 22, 2011, the band released a promotional single, "If I Ruled the World" featuring Iyaz, in anticipation of their second album, Elevate. Elevate was released on November 21, 2011 and debuted at number 12 on the Billboard 200, selling over 70,000 copies in its first week. Though for a lower peaking than their previous, the album sold more copies than the previous album. The first single, "Music Sounds Better with U", written by the band and Ryan Tedder from OneRepublic, was released on November 1, 2011. The song peaked at number twenty-six on the US Pop Songs.
To promote the release of their second album, the group had their first headlining tour, the Better With U Tour, which took place over sixteen dates in February and March 2012. JoJo opened for Big Time Rush for the first five dates, while One Direction opened for ten of the sixteen dates. In late February, Big Time Rush announced a national summer tour starting July 5 at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, OH. Cody Simpson, Rachel Crow and Leon Thomas III will be the opening acts in the American venues, whereas Victoria Duffield and Tyler Medeiros will be opening in the Canadian cities.
2012-present: Film debut and third studio album
The band announced they would be starring in their full-length 2012 film, Big Time Movie. The movie features them travelling to London, England. In Big Time Movie, the four members of the band Big Time Rush head to London for their first big world tour but instead get mixed up in a mission to save the world. The film was released on 10 March 2012 in the US, while a Germany release was on 22 September 2012. Due to the promotion, the group recorded cover of The Beatles songs and released an EP, Big Time Movie Soundtrack EP. However, the film received mixed to positive reviews from most contemporary film critics, many comparing them to The Monkees but praising their fun, carefree image. However, the film was a commercial success, having over 13 million views in a week.
The group is currently writing and recording new songs for their third album. Their single, "Windows Down", was released on June 25, 2012. With its success, the song peaked at 37 on the US Pop Songs and 15 on the US Heatseekers Songs. The song then debuted at 97 on the Hot 100. It was included on a re-release of the group's second album, Elevate.
On August 6, 2012 Nickelodeon renewed the Big Time Rush series for a 13-episode fourth season, production started on January 7, 2013.
Musical style and themes
Because the group are associated with the TV series and children network Nickelodeon, they have been presented as a "child-friendly" group, but have musical differences. While reviewing their first studio album, BTR, Jessica Dawson from Common Sense, she stated "Big Time Rush is a standout, not only because of their boyish charm and good looks, but because their music is a cool blend of synth-pop, hip-hop, and boy-band harmonies." The music found on BTR is mainly pop and R&B. The music found on the album is child-appropriate, as it serves as not only their debut album, but the soundtrack to their self-titled series.
Their second studio album, Elevate, presented a more dance-oriented song, along with general pop music and R&B.
Success and public image
Carlos Pena Jr. was interviewed September 2012, and talked about if Big Time Rush could exist outside of their series, where he replied;
"I think the music could stand alone, but I dont know if it would be as powerful. The show has definitely been our main audience. We have four million kids watching. So when you put a song out, four million kids hear it. When you put a song on the radio, youre not going to have four million people listening. Its a blessing and a curse being on Nickelodeon its gotten us where we are now, though some people are standoffish to us because of that. But we have to be grateful that Nickelodeon gave us this opportunity. Abandoning the show would not be the best idea."
With their success, the group have been compared to recent boy bands such as One Direction and The Wanted. However, in most reviewers, Big Time Rush have been divided with positivety and negativity from onlookers. However, recent boy bands including One Direction and The Wanted have also not received rave outcomes. Michael O'Connell from The Hollywood Reporter said "One Direction is but one group in this resilient and timeless fad. They follow the recent success of fellow Brits [The Wanted] and Nickelodeon's cross-market creation [Big Time Rush]. One [One Direction] is fluke. Two [The Wanted] is a coincidence. And three [Big Time Rush] is a trend that you want to father your unborn children.' In August 2012, the group were voted the Best Boy Band in the World, with over 800,000 votes cast on them. Melinda Newman from Washington Post stated "In the grand tradition of boy bands, these acts share certain traits with their similarly manufactured pop ancestors: Members of the Wanted and Big Time Rush auditioned for their parts at a casting call. The members of One Direction were put together by Simon Cowell after trying out individually for the British edition of The X Factor." However, she positively compared them to The Monkees by saying "Big Time Rush is similar to the Monkees with its own TV series as a launchpad, and the group appeals to kids and tweens."
To date, Big Time Rush have sold over 10 million records worldwide. They are also one of the most popular boy bands in the 21st century.
- Main article: Big Time Rush discography
- BTR (2010)
- Elevate (2011)
- Big Time Movie Soundtrack EP (2012)
Awards and Nominations
|2010||2010 Australian Kids' Choice Awards||Fave International Band||Big Time Rush||Nominated|
|2011||2011 Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Music Group||Nominated|
|2011 Australian Kids' Choice Awards||Hottest Guy Hottie||Nominated|
|Kids' Choice Awards Mexico||Favorite International Artist||Won|
|Kids' Choice Awards Argentina 2011||Favorite International Singer||Nominated|
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Push||Big Time Rush||Nominated|
|Youth Rocks Awards||Rockin' Group of the Year||Nominated|
|MTV Breakthrough Band||Favorite Breakthrough Band||Won|
|2012||2012 Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Music Group||Won|
|Kids' Choice Awards Mexico||Favorite International Artist||Nominated|
|Kids' Choice Awards Argentina 2012||International Artist or Group||Won|
|Otto Awards||Best Pop Band||Won|
|Hollywood Teen TV Awards||Favorite Music Group||Won|
|Pop Crush Music Awards||Video of The Year||Windows Down||Won|
|Premios Telehit||Artist Popular||Big Time Rush||Nominated|
|Best International Pop Band||Nominated|
|Z Boy Band Awards||Best Current Boy Band||Nominated|
|2013||2013 Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Music Group||Pending|
|2013||Premios Oye!||Best International English Single||Boyfriend||Pending|
- Lloyd, Robert. "Reviews: 'Big Time Rush' and 'I'm in the Band'." Los Angeles Times. January 18, 2010.
- Martin, Denise. "Child's Play." Los Angeles Times. November 22, 2009.
- Martin, Denise. "'Big Time Rush' Is A Little Bit 'Entourage,' A Little Bit 'Monkees'." Boston Globe. November 26, 2009.
- 4.0 4.1 Moore, Frazier. "An Inside Look at a Boy Band on Nick's New Comedy." Associated Press. January 15, 2010.
- Nickelodeon show debuts big time on iTunes when it charted at no.3 | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online. Mb.com.ph (2010-07-06). Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Connecting to the iTunes Store. Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved on 2011-09-10.
- Big Time Rush "Halfway There" On iTunes | Nickelodeon News. Nickutopia.com (2010-04-16). Retrieved on 2011-09-10.
- BIG TIME RUSH- HALFWAY THERE ON Billboards Hot 100 Chart ! Big Time Rush link. Fanpop. Retrieved on 2011-09-10.
- iTunes Music Til I Forget About You Single by Big Time Rush. Itunes.apple.com (2010-09-21). Retrieved on 2011-09-10.
- Bridgit Mendler signs with Hollywood Records, Big Time Rush certified Gold, Will Joe Jonas open for Britney Spears, Pics from Savannah Outen and Josh Goldens music video, Destinee and Paris sing The Big Bang, Disney to make song for Japan, Kids Choice Awards flashback, Tron: Legacy Reconfigured, Zendaya appearance at World of Wheels. Tommy2.net (2011-04-01). Retrieved on 2011-09-10.
- http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=16691, FMQB.com. Retrieved on 2011-02-04.
- Featured News Post | The Official Big Time Rush Site. Btrband.com. Retrieved on 2011-09-10.
- Big Time Rush was first broadcast in the U.S. in November 2009.
- "Michael Buble Bests Nickelback, Rihanna on Billboard 200". Billboard.com. Billboard. November 30, 2011. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "One Direction Announce US Tour Dates". One Direction Music. 2011-11-18. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "Big Time Movie Soundtrack - EP" in the iTunes Store.
- Big Time Movie (TV 2012) - IMDB.
- Big Time Movie - Movie Review. commonsensemedia.org.
- "Ratings - Nickelodeon's "Big Time Movie" Scores Top Spot for the Week With Kids and Tweens and Reaches 13 Million Total Viewers". The Futon Critic. 2012-03-13. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- [[[:Template:BillboardURLbyName]] Big Time Rush Album & Song Chart History]. Billboard.
- This review was written by Jessica Dawson (2010-10-12). "BTR Music Review". Commonsensemedia.org. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- FIRST POSTED: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 03, 2012 02:00 AM EDT Big Time Rush ready to slow down.
- 27.0 27.1 27.2 http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/big-time-rush-one-direction-the-wanted-the-boy-band-is-making-a-comeback/2012/03/20/gIQAxsvCSS_story.html
- Hawke's Bay Today. Pg 2, The News in 10. 2012.
- Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards Australian 2010 - Nominees.
- Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards Australian 2010 - Winners.
- 2011 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards - Nominees.
- 2011 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards - Winners. Digital Spy.
- 2011 Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards Australia - Nominees.
- 2011 Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards Australia - Winners.
- Kids Choice Awards Mexico 2011 - Winners.
- Todos los nominados a los Kids Choice Awards Argentina (Spanish). Retrieved on 20 January 2013.
- 40.0 40.1 Kids Choice Awards Argentina 2011 - Ganadores (Spanish). Retrieved on 20 January 2013.
- MTV Europe Music Awards 2011 All the winners.
- Youth Rocks Awards - Rockin' Group of the Year. Retrieved on 20 January 2013.
- Youth Rocks Awards 2011 - WINNERS. Retrieved on 20 January 2013.
- Big Time Rush Up For MTVs Favorite Breakthrough Band Of 2011.
- 2012 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards - Winners.
- Nominados Oficiales a los Kids Choice Awards Mexico 2012.
- Kids Choice Awards México 2012 - Winners (Spanish). Retrieved on 20 January 2013.
- Kids Choice Awards Argentina 2011 - Winners.
- Big Time Rush Wins The Bravo Otto Award For Best Pop Band.
- Hollywood Teen TV Awards - Favorite Musical Group.
- Video of the Year 2012 PopCrush Music Awards. PopCrush.com.
- 52.0 52.1 Lista de nominados a los Premios Telehit 2012.
- 53.0 53.1 Lista de ganadores a los Premios Telehit 2012.
- Z Boy Band Awards 2012 Winners.
- Kids' Choice Awards 2013 TV nominees- EXCLUSIVE.
- Big Time Rush at the Internet Movie Database
- Big Time Rush at TV.com
- Official site
- Big Time Rush on MTV.com
- Blur's Song 2 The song that Windows Down sampled
|Big Time Rush|
|* Kendall Schmidt
|Studio albums||* BTR
|Extended Plays||* Holiday Bundle|
|Promotional Singles||* "Famous"|
|Other songs||* "All I Want for Christmas"
|Related articles||* Discography