||This article includes a list of references or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. Please help to improve this article by introducing more precise citations where appropriate. (December 2012)|
Soulsavers (also known as The Soulsavers Soundsystem) are an English production and remix team composed of Rich Machin and Ian Glover. The Soulsavers' downtempo electronica sound incorporates influences of rock, gospel, soul, and country. To date, the duo has released four albums: Tough Guys Don't Dance in 2003, It's Not How Far You Fall, It's the Way You Land (with Mark Lanegan and others) in 2007, Broken in 2009 (again, with Lanegan and guest vocalists), and The Light the Dead See (with Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode).
Soulsavers' third album, Broken, was released on 17 August 2009. Mark Lanegan once again featured as the main vocalist. Other prominent musicians such as Mike Patton (of Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk and other projects), Jason Pierce (of Spiritualized and Spacemen 3), Richard Hawley, and Gibby Haynes (of Butthole Surfers) also feature on the album. The non-album single "Sunrise," a song written by Lanegan and sung by Will Oldham, preceded the album release on 3 August 2009. The B-side is a cover of Palace Brothers' "You Will Miss Me When I Burn," a song written by Oldham and sung by Lanegan, that is also featured on the Broken album.
The pair are also making headway as film score composers, with a portfolio of work that includes the feature documentary BattleGround: 21 Days on the Empire's Edge produced by the Guerrilla News Network.
Their song "Revival" was featured on the 22 November 2007 episode of Grey's Anatomy, titled "Crash Into Me" part 1. The song was also featured on the 10 December episode of Friday Night Lights, titled "Giving Tree". It is also featured in the snowboarding movie That's It, That's All. Revival also featured in the trailer of the 2011 film Machine Gun Preacher. "Kingdoms of Rain" featured in the Lie to Me episode "Truth or Consequences," which aired on 5 October 2009. They supported Depeche Mode during the European leg of their Tour of the Universe in late 2009.
t the beginning of May 2013 in twitter appeared information that the Soulsavers started to work on material for their upcoming fifth studio album. On 14 January 2014 this information was confirmed in a Depeche Mode's official webside , where it was told that the vocals for a new material would be done again by Dave Gahan. According to him, the new Soulsavers album will be released approximately in spring of 2015.
- Tough Guys Don't Dance (13 October 2003)
- It's Not How Far You Fall, It's the Way You Land (2 April 2007)
- Broken (17 August 2009)
- The Light the Dead See (21 May 2012)
- TBA (2015)
- "Beginning to See the Dark" EP (27 May 2002)
- "Revolution Song" (split 7" with Broadway Project) (31 March 2003)
- "Closer EP" (22 November 2004)
- "Revival" (30 April 2007)
- "Kingdoms of Rain" (20 August 2007)
- "Sunrise" (3 August 2009)
- "Death Bells" (14 September 2009)
- "Unbalanced Pieces" (2 November 2009)
- "Some Misunderstanding" (22 March 2010)
- "Longest Day" (2 April 2012)
- "Take Me Back Home" (20 August 2012)
DJ mix albums
- In a Blue Room (2003)
- 2001 Starsailor - "Goodsouls"
- 2002 Doves - "Satellites"
- 2002 Starsailor - "Poor Misguided Fool"
- 2003 Broadway Project - "Sufi"
- 2004 Starsailor - "Four to the Floor"
- 2005 The Mothers - "Speak for Me"