geboren am 27.5.1950 in Philadelphia, PA, USA
Kirk F Smith is an American bass player who performs on both the acoustic and electric basses. Born May 27, 1950 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Kirk started playing bass at age 13 in Trenton, NJ. As a bass major, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music Education from The College of New Jersey, Trenton, NJ, 1972. He also taught, and was a Graduate Assistant at Temple University, College of Music, Philadelphia, PA, 1973-74.
Kirk studied with Richard Davis in New York while teaching music in public schools in New Jersey. During this time he performed with several resort house-bands in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania, and the Catskills in New York State, backing up the many entertainment acts that came through daily. He spent two years on the road with show bands working from Toronto to the Bahamas.
Then Kirk joined the Glenn Miller Orchestra under the direction of Jimmy Henderson in 1976, which led to another year on the road, and included tours of the U.S., Europe, Scandinavia, England, and Japan. He also joined Stan Kenton's Band for the last tour that Stan would do in 1978.
Since moving to California in 1977, Kirk has performed, recorded, and/or toured all over the world with The Ray Anthony Orchestra, The Tex Beneke Orchestra, Les Brown and The Band Of Renown, The Ray Conniff Orchestra, Billy Vaughn, Michael Feinstein, Michael Crawford, Keely Smith, The Bill Tole Orchestra, Louie Bellson, The Harry James Orchestra, and Suzanne Somers, among others.
RECORDINGS: Michael Feinstein: "The Sinatra Project" (2008). Leslie Wolman: "Jewish Women in Song" (2007); "On Broadway" (2005). Jaye P. Morgan: "Lately" (2005). Kenny Ellis: "Hanukkah Swings (2005). Keely Smith: Keely Swings Basie-style with Strings (2002); Ray Anthony: "Dream Dancing VII The Harry James Songbook (2005); Dream Dancing V Dancing for Lovers (2002); Dream Dancing IV (2001); Dream Dancing III (2000); When Youre Smilin (2001); Dream Dancing In The Latin Mood (1998); Boogie, Blues, and Ballads (1997); Dream Dancing Christmas with Mel Torme (1995); In The Miller Mood Vol. II (1993); In The Miller Mood (1992); Swing Back To The 40s (1991); 1988 And All That Jazz (1988). Stan Kenton: Live At The Coconut Grove (1978). Les Brown: Live At The University Of Wisconsin (1995); Swing Alive At The Palladium (1996) Ray Conniff: SCountry (1999); "Ray Conniffs' Christmas" (1999). The Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra: On Tour-Swinging Today, with Jim Miller (1998) Corky Hale: Corky (1999 Grammy Nominee for Best Vocal-Jazz); Have Yourself a Jazzy Little Christmas (1999); Harp, The Herald Angels Swing (1995). Bill Tole Orchestra: On The Move (1990); NY,NY (1977) Tex Beneke: The Modernaires with Tex Beneke (1994). Madeline Vergari: This is My Lucky Day (1986). Roger Neumann: Instant Heat (1995). Art Depew Orchestra: His Trumpet and Orchestra (1999). Margo McCrae: Swingin In The Moonlight (2000). Lori Johnson: Like Fine Wine (1998). Charly Valentine: Silhouette Of An Era (1997). The Avalon Cats: Four Feet To The Beat (1999). Leslie Corne: This Thing Called Love (2002). Renee Grizzell: Im Glad There is You (2002). Armando Manzanero: Las Canciones Que Quise Escribir (1992). April Stevens With Nino Tempo: Carousel Dreams (1978). Sheena Easton: "Sentimental Journey", " Swing Alive At The Palladium".
FEATURE FILM: He's Just Not That into You (film); Three Men and a Little Lady; The Other Sister; Cry Baby; The Birdcage; Movers & Shakers
TOURS: Michael Feinstein: Japan 2007. Suzanne Somers: US Tours 1987present. Ray Conniff Orchestra and Chorus: Brazil, September 2001; October 1999; September 1998. Connie Frances: London Palladium Concert (1992). Tex Beneke Orchestra: Sweden, Norway September 1992. Ray Anthony Orchestra: Japan, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991. Stan Kenton: United States Tour, 1978. The Glenn Miller Orchestra: United States, Europe, England, Scandinavia, Japan 1976.
T.V.: Suzanne Somers: The Rick Dees Show, Vibe (TV series), The Arsenio Hall Show, Late Late Show" with Craig Kilborn, "Step By Step", The Suzanne Somers Show House Band, 94 -95. Bob Hope: Christmas Specials 93 & 94. Les Brown: Swing Alive, PBS. Chante Moore: Girlfriends. The Bold and The Beautiful, The Young and The Restless
COMMERCIALS: MCI One- 6 Solo Bass commercials; Blue Shield- 6 commercials; Honda
LIVE PERFORMANCES: Mel Torme, Nancy Wilson, Marvin Hamlisch, Anthony Newley, Michael Feinstein, Diane Schuur, Sheena Easton, Marilyn McCoo, Michael Crawford, Billy Eckstein, Frankie Laine, Four Freshmen, Lola Falana, The Fifth Dimension, Andy Williams, Debbie Boone, Lorna Luft, Buddy Greco, John Davidson, Diahann Carroll, Roger Williams, Rita Moreno, Joel Grey, Chante Moore, Lynn Dally and Jazz Tap Ensemble.
- Frances, Susan, (2008), CD Review: The Sinatra Project, Featured Artist: Michael Feinstein, JazzReview, http://www.jazzreview.com/cd/review-19947.html, 02 September 2010
- Santella, Jim (2002), CD Review: Keely Swings Basie-style with Strings, Featured Artist: Keely Smith, All About Jazz, http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=10727&recommended=1, 03 September 2010.
- Nathan, Dave, (2000), CD Review: Have Yourself a Jazzy Little Christmas, Featured Artist: Corky Hale, All Music Guide, http://www.answers.com/topic/have-yourself-a-jazzy-little-christmas, 02 September 2010.
- Blue Note Tokyo, Press Release, 22 August 2007, http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.bluenote.co.jp/jp/schedule/detail.php%3Fid%3D76&ei=x3x_TLqVEYO2sAPvprH1Cg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCEQ7gEwBDge&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522kirk%2Bsmith%2522%2B%2522michael%2Bfeinstein%2522%26start%3D30%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26prmd%3Do, 02 September 2010
- Somers, Suzanne (1998). After The Fall. New York, New York: Crown. pp. 283. ISBN 0-609-60312-4.
- Lee, William. Stan Kenton Artistry In Rhythm. Los Angeles, California: Creative Press. pp. 517, 524. ISBN 0-686-72145-4.
- Harris, Stephen D (2000). The Kenton Kronicles. Los Angeles, California: Dynaflow Publications. pp. 300, 303, 314. ISBN 0-9676273-0-3.
- The Bold and the Beautiful, The Internet Movie Database (IMDb), http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1635859/, 02 September 2010
- Bethanis, Wayne, Center Theatre Groups Salon XVI At The Mark Taper Forum Review - Honoring Frank Loesser, Splash Magazines, 2007, Los Angeles Entertainment, Los Angeles Performances, http://www.lasplash.com/publish/Los_Angeles_Performances_116/Center_Theatre_Group_s_Salon_XVI_At_The_Mark_Taper_Forum_Review.php , 02 September 2010
- Sawoski, John, May 12 (Saturday) - John Sawoski plays keyboards for Feinstein, Gifford, and the Fifth Dimension, 12 May 2007, http://www.lapianist.com/pr48.htm#May_19th, 02 September 2010
- Seigel, Barbara, "Jazz Revolution" The Cornell Daily Sun, 28 March 2001, Arts & Entertainment Archives, http://cornellsun.com/node/2603, 01 September 2010